Topics for Displaying Futures Award 2017
This year we will go beyond liquid crystals and expand our scope within in Performance Materials.
The focus of the 2017 award is Innovative flexible hybrid electronic devices enabled by advanced materials. We are looking for break-through innovations in:
- wearables for health monitoring
- soft robotics and electronic skin
- sensors and electronics packaging
Stay tuned! More to come!
Take a look at the 2016 Displaying Futures Award
The winners of the Displaying Futures Award 2016 come from the University of Central Florida, Kent State University and the Eindhoven University of Technology.
Curios to participate?
Are you enthusiastic about innovation? Are you an explorer? Are you dreaming of starting up your own company with your own idea? If so, let us hear from you!
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, will select the best three teams out of applications from all over the world. Every team will receive up to US$ 50,000 to explore and realize their idea. Over the course of 12 months, we would provide each team exclusive mentorship and coaching according to their individual needs, for example in business plan development and prototype building.
You can be one of them! Grab the chance and take the challenge!
What happens when?
The application period is planned to open in April, 2017 and close in May, 2017. A jury of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, experts will select up to ten teams and ideas on the basis of innovativeness, business potential and social impact. The jury will be headed by Chief Executive Officer of Performance Materials Walter Galinat.
We will invite the selected teams to participate in the kick-off bootcamp and to pitch their idea at our Innovation Center in Darmstadt, Germany. The bootcamp and pitch day for all teams are planned for June 2017. Travel costs will be reimbursed for two members of each team (up to US$ 3,000 per team). Out of the pitches, the jury will select up to three winners of the Displaying Futures Award. In addition, the aforementioned support, the three winning teams will be invited in December 2017 for a mid-way pitch and a second bootcamp. At the end of the 12 months, a final event will take place for all teams, including a pitch in front of potential investors.
What can you expect?
- Extensive mentorship from our experts
- Up to US$ 50,000 in cash to further explore your idea
- Access to proprietary materials and global network from Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
- A special business curriculum in selected areas to support your team at the beginning, the middle and the end of the 12-month period
What do we expect from you?
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany is committed to fully supporting the teams and therefore does not ask for equity or IP rights if a company is formed. However, our company would like to be offered a board seat and the opportunity to invest. We require the winning teams to spend their money according to the submitted proposal. All contracts are simple, transparent and available for all to see.
Who can participate?
Anyone can participate, however we would give preference to PhD candidates/post-docs and senior research scientists.
How can you apply?
The application platform will be open in April 2017. We will offer an online form to fill in on this website.
- Provide us with an executive summary of your idea, its technical background as well as the related IP situation.
- Elaborate the business potential of your idea and introduce your team.
- Include a short- and long-term milestone plan and briefly describe the expected use of money.
- Submit your application in English.