Resume and Cover Letters
A well-written resume is an essential part of your application for any job
It is a key selling tool for you and what you want a prospective employer to know about you. Each time you apply for a new role, you need to review your resume to make sure it highlights your most important behaviors, achievements, roles and responsibilities.
How can you do that? Here are our top tips to help you create an effective resume and cover letter or email:
- Research the company, role, values and expectations and reflect those back in your resume. Think about why they are important and how you can demonstrate that
- Identify the key learnings, achievements or responsibilities you think best summarise what you want a recruiter to know about you and for this particular job
- Keep it short. You want to give enough detail to be genuine and to stimulate interest. You don’t need a full and lengthy history
- Be genuine, honest and direct. Use clear language and avoid superlatives or unnecessary jargon
Cover letter essentials:
- Pick out the top keywords in the job advert. Write a clear sentence around each one to explain why you are applying for this role and why you are a good candidate
- How do your work experience and skills fit with these core requirements
- Why do you want to work for us
Sometimes there isn’t enough space to include everything you have done or been part of. Remember that a recruiter or interviewer will often look at your LinkedIn profile. This can be a great additional space to showcase your work history, experience, interactions, references, ideas, achievements and behaviors. Make sure it is up-to-date and complete and reflects what you want a potential employer to see about you.