A career at Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Associate Director, Merck Ventures Bio-Incubator
REPORTING TO : Head of Healthcare Investments MS Ventures
Purpose of the Role:
- Responsible for managing deal flow for the Israel Biotech Incubator by working closely together with the Merck scouting function in Israel.
- Drafting investment proposals and business plans for start-up companies that could become investments for the Merck Ventures Bio-Incubator, which will invest and provide services to start-up companies. The aim is to invest in companies that develop products/ technologies which might have future strategic value for Merck with the objective to create a unique asset base for Merck`s future R&D
- Managing the day to day interface /management of relation between start-up companies in the Incubator and the ITL site management. The role will include being the first point of contact between start-ups companies in the Bio-Incubator and the ITL site management and R&D
- Further raises the and “Best Partner” profile of Merck in Israel by liaising/ creating strong links with the local biotech community, financial investors, Universities, Technology Transfer Offices and biotech entrepeneurs
- Supports the Merck Ventures team with inputs on using the Israel Incubator
- On an as-needed basis, the Head of the Bio-Incubator might be asked to support initiatives aimed at increasing investments in Israel by Merck Ventures not related to healthcare, such as providing support to other funds of Merck Ventures and potentially hands-on management/ liaison services to support to the Merck Ventures team responsible for managing such activities in the future.
- Generates deal flow in Israel through internal and external network of VCs, companies, academic institutes, and key academic leaders in Israel by working closely with the internal scouting function of Merck Israel
- Evaluates deal flow, performs technical due diligence and coordinates experts that support the diligence process
- Generating investment proposals out of deal flow and early academic research by actively drafting business plans/ work plans leading to proprietary business proposals fit with the strategic purpose of the Incubator.
- Support the Merck Ventures team in negotiating investments in start-up companies /strategic assets in Israel and developing investment proposals for investments in early stage start-ups in Israel that fit the scope of the Merck Ventures Bio-Incubator and potentially other initiatives or activities by Merck Ventures for the other funds
- Establishes and manages relationships with academic partners / advisors to create access to specialized due diligence advisors for a wide range of opportunities in Israel, by working together in close harmony with the ILT R&D team
- Supports investee companies, where appropriate, with hands-on support in organizational, project management, IP, etc issues
- Identifies new areas of innovation and growth opportunities / investment trends in Israel that may be related to Merck’s core therapeutic areas
- Identifies new areas of innovation and growth opportunities / investment trends that may be outside the company’s current ‘comfort zone’ and explore how to create future access in a capital efficient way
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- Advanced degree in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences
- At least 2 years expertise in VC, Technology Incubator or healthcare investment banking
- Strong plus: experience in pharma business development role
- Excellent English skills (Written, Oral, Negotiations)
- Fluency in Hebrew,
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong analytical skills, ability to drive generation of business case/plan out of early academic science
- Ability to “think outside the box” and reposition early concepts into valuable business plans
- Understanding of (preferred) equity and equity related structures commonly applied in the biotech industry in privately held companies
- Ability to drive projects to conclusion and entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills, ability to lead cross functional international project teams and present to senior management
- Project management skills, ability to lead multiple projects and to deliver on time in an organized and process-driving manner
- Problem solving and organization skills
- Excellent with Word, PPT, Excel, Project, Database applications, and Searches
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines
- Willingness to learn and advance
- Willingness to travel at least 10% and up to 30% depending on project load
What we offer: At Merck, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2merck.com