A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Researcher-Innovator-Problem Solver-Wetlab Wizard wanted for a high risk, high reward synthetic biology project within the Merck Innovation Unit (part of Group Strategy & Transformation). You will join a multidisciplinary core team in the development of foundationally disruptive technology with the potential to unlock new business markets.
This position reports to the Project Head of R&D at the MilliporeSigma Laclede site in StL, but may involve collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders distributed across geographic regions / time zones.
- The candidate will work on innovative solutions to a specific biotechnology/synthetic biology problem, with responsibilities including:
- Experimental design, execution, data collection, and analysis to further the project goals.
- Specifically including design, engineering, purification, and assay of novel enzyme activities.
- The candidate will report to and closely collaborate with the Head of R&D, based mainly at the MilliporeSigma Laclede site in StL.
- The candidate will communicate progress during physical and virtual team meetings. Occasionally these may occur at times out of conventional office hours due to the global distribution of project stakeholders.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- Candidate should have excellent knowledge of:
- Protein purification techniques and enzymology.
- Recombinant protein techniques in one or more industrial biological systems
- Enzymatic Assay development, particularly in high throughput.
- Automated aqueous chromatography.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in:
- Automated high throughput systems.
- Nucleic acid biochemistry.
- Candidate should have ability to:
- Design and execute experiments to achieve desired milestones in determined time frames.
- Proactively drive forward a complex innovation project.
- Rapidly learn new skillsets and speciality knowledge as necessary.
- Apply excellent interpersonal and cooperative skills in a partly-virtual team setting.
- Communicate concisely and clearly to both expert and non-expert audiences.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.