A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
We are looking for a motivated, team-focused R&D Operations Technician to join our Deposition Materials R&D group responsible for the development of novel ALD/CVD precursors and processes for applications in semiconductor devices. The role of this person is to support the R&D organization in lab equipment maintenance, experiment execution, data collection, documentation, and other lab operations. The position requires hands-on experience in the maintenance of semiconductor vacuum equipment, thin film processing equipment, metrology, and related hardware. Experience with processing and characterization of thin films is a plus. This work will be conducted under the supervision of the R&D Applications Manager.
Key aspects of the position are as follows.
- Works closely with R&D scientists and managers to support ALD/CVD development activities and contributes to team initiatives
- Responsible for the maintenance of ALD/CVD process equipment
- Assist with the planning, installation, and qualification of new R&D equipment
- Suggest and implement improvements to procedures and equipment configurations
- Implement equipment maintenance logs
- Perform routine equipment performance checks
- Responsible for maintaining equipment part stock
- Lead troubleshooting of tool related issues
- Interface with lab equipment suppliers for issue resolution
- Interface with facilities and safety teams
- Clean room operations support
- Perform metrology tool calibration and maintenance
- Assists with the execution of experiments
- Participate in team planning meetings
Key attributes of a candidate include:
- Understanding of vacuum technology, including working knowledge and hands-on ability in the use of mass flow controllers, pressure gauges, valves, gas line plumbing, etc.
- Understanding of thin film processing and metrology equipment, including operation, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Chemical handling and laboratory best-practices training
- Background in a research setting or clean rooms is a plus
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for helping others and willingness to learn.
- Able to function in a team-based environment
- Attention to detail, task oriented, able to work according to timelines and/or deadlines
- Commitment to safety
- Experience using MS Office applications, e-mail
Education: B.S. in the physical sciences (chemistry, materials science, physics) or an appropriate engineering discipline
Essential: Demonstrated hands on ability with vacuum equipment and semiconductor processing hardware in a semiconductor R&D laboratory or production facility with 5+ years of experience
Desirable: Ability to handle chemicals inside inert atmosphere glovebox, familiarity with chemical glassware and apparatus, ability to interpret metrology data, knowledge of silicon semiconductor processes and technologies
Physical requirements: Ability to work while wearing a respirator for short periods of time. Ability to perform physical tasks requiring strength, endurance, and dexterity (lifting, crouching, utilizing tools, etc.)
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.