A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: The Scientist, Quality Associate position is responsible for the routine analysis of samples in the Quality Control department and all related cGMP paperwork. Analysis involves the use of HPLC, GC, KF, DSC, TGA, IR, MS, NMR and XRPD among other tests and instruments. The position is responsible for organizing and performing analytical equipment calibration/verification and maintenance. This position is also responsible for assisting with method qualification, writing protocols and standard operating procedures. Other responsibilities include participation in process improvement initiatives, maintaining a clean and safe working environment, and supporting the department in maintaining the laboratory in an audit ready state. The Scientist, Quality Associate position, like all positions at MilliporeSigma, will require a willingness to contribute to the overall success of the company by assisting in many areas beyond specific job duties.
***Various Shifts Available: 2nd Shift: Monday - Friday 12:00 PM - 8:30 PM, 3rd Shift: Monday -Thursday 10:00 PM - 6:00 AM, or 4th Shift: Friday - Sunday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM ***
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work on problems of moderate scope in which analysis of data requires review of identifiable factors.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Meet with internal project groups to keep projects on track.
- Maintain projects and timelines with oversight.
- Execute method transfers into QC.
- Perform method validations and write technical reports with some assistance.
- Perform instrument calibration (IQ/OQ/PQ/PM) and routine equipment maintenance/repair.
- Analytically test in-process, final products, intermediates, and raw materials. Testing will involve the use of HPLC, GC, KF, DSC, TGA, IR, MS, NMR, and XRPD among other tests and instruments.
- Participate in OOS investigations via testing and good documentation.
- Perform requalification of reference standards, and maintain reference standard inventory/documentation.
- Write and revise SOPs including raw material, intermediate, and final product specifications.
- Document testing properly and in a timely fashion, including keeping laboratory notebooks accurate and up to date.
- Demonstrate proper laboratory techniques.
- Work cooperatively within the QC department and with other departments to achieve project goals.
- Work in compliance with effective procedures and regulatory requirements outlined in ICH Q7 and 21 CFR Parts 11, 210 and 211 as applicable
- Work in a safe manner and maintain the cleanliness of the work environment.
- Work in accordance with FDA, OSHA, EPA, DNR, DOT, and other regulatory agency guidelines.
Who You Are:
- Education: B.S. in Chemistry or related biological sciences.
- Experience: 0+ years related work experience in a GLP or cGMP analytical laboratory environment.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as excellent documentation practices.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work in analytical testing labs with hazardous and toxic chemicals.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic organic analytical chemistry.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
Environmental conditions: Work near moving mechanical parts. Frequently required to wear appropriate protective gear (hard hats, lab coats, safety glasses/goggles, chemical resistant suits, gloves, safety shoes) and other personal protective equipment “PPE” to protect from toxic or corrosive chemicals in the forms of liquids, solids, vapors, or airborne particles. Must be willing to work with highly potent/hazardous materials requiring the use of proper PPE, which could include half/full face respirators, Saranex and/or Tyvek suits with powered respiration.
Physical requirements: Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach above the shoulder, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, or crawl for extended periods of time. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted and be capable of pushing and pulling heavy materials to complete assignments. May be required to lift more poundage with assistance. Must be able to speak, hear, taste, and smell. Specific vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly use phones, computers, computer monitors, and all office/laboratory equipment. Required to type at a computer keyboard and have the ability to read CRTs/computer monitors.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.