A career at Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Your role: The Chief Digital Organization (CDO) within Merck has been founded in 2016 by Merck’s CEO Stefan Oschmann as an integral institution to drive the Digital Transformation at Merck across all its businesses globally. The CDO has been strongly growing ever since and currently has 50+ digital experts on staff coming from world class organizations such as Google, Rocket Internet, and Expedia. The CDO team covers all key domains in digital value creation such as Data Science & Analytics, UX Strategy and Design, Digital Marketing, Digital Business Transformation and Strategy Realization .
You will be leading a small team of driven digital project managers. With your team you will help Merck’s global businesses to find, validate and realize Digital Opportunities in their respective businesses (i.e. operational improvement opportunities, revenue optimization opportunities). Further, you will identify new Digital Business opportunities and drive the creation and execution of these new Digital Businesses to launch and beyond. As a leader in the CDO you and your team will define and implement efficient processes and methodologies to run and organize the CDO towards its mandate (i.e. digital project portfolio management) and help building a digital community across Merck. In your role, it will be essential to build strong relationships and trust with senior leaders across Merck as well as with external technology partners such as Palantir and other leading large and small Digital leaders in Merck’s relevant ecosystem. Further, it will be instrumental for your role to attract, develop, and efficiently lead a team of digital high-potentials. You will be reporting into the Head of Digital Office, who is a former Digital Health Entrepreneur and has spent formative years at McKinsey.
Who you are:
- University degree in business studies or scientific studies
- Minimum 3-4 years of working experience at a leading strategic management consultancy such as McKinsey, BCG or Bain
- Ability to work internationally as well as in global virtual teams
- Experience in building digital business and/or innovation management (preferable)
- Experience in leading transforming digitalization’s of traditional businesses (preferable)
- Demonstrated experience acting as strategic thought partner to teams and successfully leading teams
- Razor-sharp focus on what creates value
- Ability to work autonomously, being well organized and able to set the right priorities
- Strong analytical skills, big-picture thinking
Proven experience in using latest state of the art start-up and innovation management tools (preferable)
- Entrepreneurial personality with creative unconventional thinking skills
- Strong global networking skills with ability to build up relations with stakeholders and internal knowledge owners across all businesses
- Fluent in English (both written and spoken) and German
- Flexible and willing to travel internationally (about 40% of time)
- Strong communication skills
What we offer: At Merck, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2merck.com