A career at Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Position will drive commercial marketing and initiatives aimed at Life Science Reagents & Kits, Lab Separation & Workflow Tools, Lab & Specialty Chemicals and Advanced Analytical portfolios. Position will be responsible for planning, executing and monitoring marketing strategy for the business, including growth initiatives, sales/marketing alliance and lead generation campaign execution. Position will be key interface to represent marketing needs of the sales team and the customer and will provide input for new product development, conducting training, and supporting any other activity that promotes the company brand, business visibility and growth of targeted market share
Scope of Responsibility
- Total sales revenue supported
- Total number of employees supervised (in organization)
- Number of locations responsible for: Japan
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and deploy Marketing plans for Portfolios assigned (example LSW, LSR, LSC & AA*)
*For AA matrix marketing organization
- Define a marketing plan based on the overall Research Business Unit commercial strategy
- Collaborate and align with sales organization to develop marketing strategy and plan to achieve revenue targets
- Plan and coordinate events including field sales events, on-site seminars, and major regional in collaborating with Marcom/Event team.
- Review and strengthen lead pipeline and install base to determine appropriate marketing tactics.
- Perform detailed analysis and routine reporting of regional revenue for new and existing customers.
- Provide regular reports of market and competitive updates pertaining to technology trends, new products, compelling applications, adjacent market opportunities or any growth agenda
- Establish close relationships with regional sales managers and key customers
- Gather country VOC directly to assess impact of product positioning, brand equity, customer satisfaction and marketing effectiveness
- Recommend actions based on competitive pressures, and key customer performance and issues as appropriate
- Develop relationships with key opinion leaders who can provide testimonials and/or participate in events
- Act as a point of contact for commercial team on all issues that will drive lead to order.
- Identify local market demands and trends and create programs to promote relevant products and services
- Develop customized messaging to execute regional campaign initiatives using a marketing mix to address different parts of the marketing funnel.
- Identify and assist with the development of needed marketing collateral and sales tools to support commercial teams
- Recommend media and sales channels popular for the country
- Support a team and channel management group in the Business Unit to help meet targets for sales organization
- Manage budget and track expenditure and evaluate efficacy of marketing strategies & execution
- Train & develop marketing and business development representatives & managers in areas where improvement is required in skills & personality development attributes
2. Position the Business externally with Customers, Partners and Global Marketing
- Represent the company/ business externally e.g. at networking events, conferences and exhibitions to enhance and strengthen the company’s profile and optimize all business development opportunities
- Liaise with relevant internal departments to ensure that customer needs are met and that customer requirements are fully communicated throughout the business
- Maintain an awareness of external factors (including competitors, pharmaceutical developments, government business initiatives, current and proposed legislation in relation to marketing activities) which impact the business. Communicate such information to sales, commercial and customer support organizations
- Participate in the development of new project proposals with focus on customers
- Promote positive relations with partners, vendors, and distributors
3. Budgeting and Operating Plans
- Develop and manage marketing budgets, and oversee the development and management of internal operating budgets
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of commercial services, business development, pricing, channel management methods, costs, and results vis-à-vis the operating plans
4. Compliance to Internal Controls and Integrated Management System
- Comply with all Internal Control processes and audits in the Business as well as Company
- Understand and follow process & procedures laid down in IMS
- MS or M.Sc. in Chemistry, Life science or related science field
- Degree or diploma in management, Master Business Administration is preferable
- At least 10-12 years of work experience within a large establishment with hands on exposure to strategic / commercial marketing, customer segmentation, product positioning, and sales enablement
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong project management skills in a diverse multi-cultural global environment with interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of process excellence methodologies and tools
- Market intelligence skills around research, data collection, analysis, needs analysis and so on
- Deep understanding of marketing principles and commercial drivers in a diversified product industry
- Knowledge of market dynamics and regulatory environment in Life Science and Pharma industry
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas Life Science, Chemistry, Analytical or bulk chemical business
- Ability to analyze and resolve or assist personnel in solving complex sales problems, oversee root cause investigations and the preparation of written report of findings
- Persuasion and negotiation skills in a global environment
- Experience with working within matrix organizations, networking across multiple functional teams, and at all levels
- Effective leadership and communication skills (written, oral, listening, presentation)
- Learning agility
- Strong passion for growth
What we offer: At Merck, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2merck.com
Recruiting contact: email@example.com