A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Head, Medical Officer, New Businesses leads new business development through acting as the clinical face to the investor base and to act as the internal medical/clinical coordinator with other related functions in preparing the asset for partnership and in execution of external development afterwards. This role will lead efforts to raise the company’s profile amongst relevant constituents in big Pharma, development companies, VCs and biotech to aid deal flow.
The key tasks of this role will include, but not necessarily be restricted to, the following:
- Support partnership efforts by preparing and presenting scientific parts of deal decks
- Plan and oversee partners’ execution of clinical development program (Development Plan)
- Lead the generation of a clinical development plan for each candidate placed under New Businesses for external partnership (with an initial plan to partner at the pre-clinical stage or clinical stage)
- Represent company in Joint Development Committees as part of externalized assets governance
- Partner with New Businesses team and other internal stakeholders such as therapy area clinical development heads, medical heads, program heads, regulatory heads, TIP heads and other constituents to create medically and clinically sound asset based partnership propositions.
- Provide input to decisions that have medical, scientific, and future marketing implications
- Act as internal educator / resource on the medical / scientific level and answer medical and scientific agency questions
- Provide presentations to the Division to expand knowledge on disease states and products
- Keep abreast of clinical literature and press releases regarding relevant platform products and share with appropriate teams
- Attend scientific and clinical meetings to obtain competitive intelligence
- Analyze clinical trial data for existing out-licensed / partnership programs
- Provide regular updates to staff regarding the latest developments in therapeutic categories where business is active
- Keep abreast of industry trends and ensure appropriate team members are informed
- Act as medical strategist function in Merck New Businesses brainstorming activities
- Assess new market opportunities for current and pipeline products
- Participate as medical/scientific representative in strategy sessions
- Maintain a working knowledge of strategic direction across Merck’s pipeline
- Act as a scientific sounding board for product positioning and strategies
- Identify and establish contacts with national and global opinion leaders
- Act as a liaison between the agency and key consultants/opinion leaders
- Maintain technical expertise
- Attend relevant market research
- Keep abreast of research literature and other relevant sources
- Function as a medical strategist in meetings with potential partners
- Attend professional meetings and conventions
- Participate in preceptorship or other relevant clinical experience
- Drive the innovation of research and processes within Merck New Businesses
As member of the executive management team of New Businesses entity, you will be responsible for providing medical and scientific support to Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany’s clinical development efforts in immunology, oncology and oncological immunotherapy projects and will actively be involved in the formation and execution of strategic initiatives and fostering relationships with strategic partners and vendors.
Who You Are:
- MD degree
- Significant experience in the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry (12+ years)
- Ability to travel both domestically and internally on a frequent basis
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.