A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: The Analytical Scientist is responsible for the analysis of samples from the Process Development department and related paperwork. The Analytical Scientist will have an understanding of the analytical instrumentation (HPLC, GC, DSC, TGA, IR, MS, NMR and XRPD among other tests) in order to be able to critically evaluate data. He/She will be able to use their knowledge to be able to recommend and implement testing to solve problems as they might arise in the Process Development group.
The Analytical Scientist will be able to develop analytical methods that will solve problems in Process Development and be able to transfer those methods to the Quality Control group for eventual validation. The Analytical Scientist is responsible for reviewing, evaluating and interpreting analytical data for identification of PD products, intermediates and raw materials and is responsible for all related paperwork. The Analytical Scientist is responsible for maintaining project timing and costs and interacting with clients to assure project goals are met. The Analytical Scientist is responsible for working with and training Assistant and Associate Analytical Scientists.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop test methods for PD products, intermediates and raw materials.
- Ability to recommend and implement testing to solve problems as they arise in Process Development.
- Ability to identify and solve complex analytical problems.
- Analytically test PD final products, intermediates and raw materials.
- Properly document lab work.
- Perform job responsibilities with little or no guidance
- Help to develop specifications for final products, intermediates and raw materials.
- Transfer analytical test methods to Quality Control.
- Train Analytical and Quality Control personnel in operation of analytical equipment and methods.
- Operationally qualify, calibrate/verify and maintain analytical and related equipment.
- Write and evaluate reports, protocols, SOP’s and other documentation.
- Review analytical data.
- Work with clients to achieve project goals.
- Interpret analytical data (including 1H NMR, MS and FT-IR).
- Work in a safe manner and maintain the cleanliness of the work environment.
- Work in accordance with FDA, OSHA, EPA, DNR, DOT, and other regulatory agency guidelines.
Who You Are:
- Education: Bachelors/M.S./Ph.D. in Chemistry or related biological sciences.
- Experience: Depending on the candidate and degree, the experience requirement is variable. A candidate without a Ph.D. should have at least 8 years industrial experience in a laboratory environment, preferably operating under GLP or cGMP conditions.
- Essential and Critical Skills: Excellent communication skills. Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to work in an Analytical testing lab with hazardous and toxic chemicals. Ability to interpret organic analytical test results. Adequate technical writing skills to generate development reports.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS:
Environmental conditions: Works near moving mechanical parts. Is frequently required to wear appropriate protective gear, (hard hats, glasses / goggles, chemical resistant suites, gloves, safety shoes) and other personal protection equipment “PPE” to protect themselves from toxic or corrosive chemicals in the forms of liquids, solids, vapors or airborne particles. Must be willing to work with highly potent / hazardous materials requiring the utilization of proper personal protective equipment which could include half/full face respirators, Saranex and / or Tyvek suits with powered respiration.
Physical requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach above the shoulder, stoop, kneel, twist, crouch or crawl for long periods of time. The employee must be able to talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds unassisted and ability to push and pull heavy materials to complete assignments. The employee may be required to lift more poundage with assistance. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Regular use of phones, computers, computer monitors, and all office / laboratory equipment. The employee is also required to type at a computer keyboard and have the ability to read CRTS / computer monitors.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.