Who we are:
EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the brand has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in neurology, fertility and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
The Associate Director of Account Pull-through & Access Influence will report directly to the Vice President of Market Access & Customer Solutions Marketing and be an access influencer expert. With deep market and customer knowledge combined with product and competitive insights, this role will support the success of contract operationalization, customer partnerships, improve patient support and outreach programs, and track the health of customer relationships and contract offerings (e.g., programs and rebates).
The Associate Director of Account Pull-through & Access Influence is responsible for serving as a strategic partner to assist in the development and execution of Market Access Channel strategies. This includes execution of EMD Serono’s customer engagement strategy and contract strategies with a broad range of access influencers such as: integrated delivery networks (IDNs), accountable care organizations (ACOs), group purchasing organizations (GPOs), specialty pharmacy providers (SPPs), managed care organizations (MCOs), pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), and government payers (e.g., VA/DoD, Indian Health Services, State Medicaid).
The Associate Director of Account Pull-through & Access Influence will work closely with a cross-functional group to develop impactful strategies and tactics for patient services and contract functionality and performance while fostering relationships with key access influencers. In addition, the position is responsible for developing, tracking, and reporting key performance indicators for access levels and quality of reimbursement as well as strategy implementation and communication. The position requires strong knowledge of the US access influencer space across multiple therapeutic areas and must be a strategic thinker with the ability to drive cross-functional change both internally and externally.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Market Access strategic plans to meet customer and patient needs, including the development of payer specific product plans and plans of action
- Partner with therapeutic area marketing leads to develop and execute access strategies with playbooks for channel, segment, and key account management
- Partner with Directors of Patient Services and HUB to further connect contract offerings with facilitation of enhanced patient access and process efficiencies
- Develop and implement analytics, tools and resources to evaluate contract performance and provide insights
- Develop a strong understanding of EMD Serono’s products, culture, and capabilities to most effectively work within the organization to optimize value communication, product access and partnership programs
- Collaborates with Corporate Account Directors (CADs), IT, and Business Excellence to assess the need for specific analytical tools that may be utilized by CADs to effectively manage account relationships and for payer pull-through initiatives
- Ensure that EMD Serono’s product and above-brand value propositions are effectively tailored and communicated to key access influencers
- Working closely with the Corporate Account Directors, identify opportunities for pull-through programs with key accounts most likely to engage and benefit from such services
- Develop strong lines of communication and partnership with key leaders within EMD Serono’s commercial and medical organization to help lead various commercial initiatives and teams to take full advantage of “pull-through opportunities”
- Work with access influencers to ensure continued profitable access with minimal restrictions for EMD Serono’s pharmaceutical products
- Monitor the changing payer landscape mergers and acquisitions (industry consolidation), benefit design trends, strategic account trends, medical loss ratios, quality metrics, and the evolution of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and report on impact of market trends and events to EMD Serono customer relationships, programs, and brands
- Work closely with Corporate Account Directors (CADs) to ensure success of contractual agreements with key access influence accounts (e.g., pull-through programs and rebates)
- Partner with Legal and Compliance to ensure that all programs are consistent with the latest laws, guidance, and corporate policies
- Lead, inspire, and engage with passion by modeling EMD Serono behaviors and working with a sense of urgency to achieve organizational goals
- Provide proactive market feedback to Market Access and cross-functional teams on business trends, competitive updates, and industry issues and opportunities
- Cultivate an atmosphere of cross-functional collaboration and reciprocal communication that creates a winning environment and inspires all to hold themselves and others accountable for delivering excellence
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of all Company policies as well as compliance with all laws, regulations, and policies.
Who you are:
Education & Language
- Bachelor degree required, MPA/MPP/MBA/MA/MS or PhD an asset
- Fluent English language skills required
Professional Skills & Experience
- Minimum 8 years of exceptional pharmaceutical and/or biotech experience in market access, reimbursement, or closely related function required, with at least 3 years as in a Market Access customer-facing role demonstrating impact, as well a minimum of two years in a corporate office environment
- Demonstrated business acumen indicative of an ability to identify trends, opportunities, and effectively manage a budget as well as provide “pull-through” expertise
- Ability to analyze complex situations to identify root cause and quickly create solutions with a clear direction
- Demonstrated knowledge of specialty markets and contracting processes
- Strong understanding of governmental regulations around pricing and contracts
- Ability to articulate clearly and conduct verbal presentations with large and small audiences
- Experience managing highly complex customer commercial models, large account management and buying processes across pharmacy and medical benefit products
- Expert knowledge of market access and reimbursement trends impacting the healthcare industry, including quality of care, performance measures, value-based reimbursement and payment models, care coordination, customer segments (private and public), and alternative payment models
- Advanced influence and credibility to engage internal and external stakeholders
- High degree of emotional intelligence with ability to connect with people and build strong cross-functional relationships, internally and externally
- Experience in Neurology/MS, Fertility, Endocrinology and/or Oncology a very strong plus
- Strong knowledge of the reimbursement environment for pharmaceutical products
- Proven ability to design, analyze and report key performance indicators at the individual and department level
Personal Skills & Competencies
- Ability to work in intense, fast paced, matrixed, multinational work environment
- Strong communication skills and an ability to translate complex information into succinct and impactful marketing messages; ability to present to all levels of the organizations to individuals and groups as well as respond succinctly and clearly to any questions
- Complex problem solving
- Ability to be successful in an autonomous environment
- Ability to continuously demonstrate company core values including transparency, courage and respect
- Ability to access and influence various functional areas and motivate groups to actions
- Collaborative work style and familiarity with core operating function (sales, regulatory, legal, medical, global marketing and co-promotion partners)
- Meet challenges confidently with energy and drive. Motivated by results, urgency and personal commitment. Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic. Fosters mutual trust and respect
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires domestic travel up to 30% of time; infrequent international travel may be required
What we offer:
Your possibilities to develop in our growing company are just as manifold as our product portfolio. We offer a modern and international working environment to unleash your innovative potential in diverse teams, and take responsibility for our employees, products, the environment and society.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.