A career at Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
A career with Merck is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Who we are: Merck is a leading science and technology company. Its life science business offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
The associate scientist will perform a wide variety of routine tasks to support GLP/ GMP operations. Responsibilities include performing assays required to characterize product, laboratory housekeeping, and preparation of reagents, stock control and general equipment maintenance. The role primarily focus on molecular biology work related to biosafety testing. They will carry out projects with the appropriate scientific and regulatory compliance, also support lab investigations. They are will maintain an in-depth understanding of BioReliance services and technical principles as well as advances in the field. The ability to maintain effective working relationships with scientists and laboratory personnel will be critical for success in the role.
The post holder will be able to perform the following functions.
Brief role description:
- Works within the viral clearance laboratory following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and relevant compliance regulations to ensure routine studies are completed on time and accurately recorded to meet appropriate scientific and GLP/GMP regulatory standards
- Maintains Laboratory SOP books ensuring removal of superseded versions (where appropriate)
- Performs routine peer review of raw data records as required.
- Maintains stock control in the laboratory and order consumables and reagents through i-procurement
- Informs relevant personnel immediately when any deviation has occurred during routine testing and acts according to instruction to raise a deviation
- Carries out housekeeping and equipment checks as appropriate to ensure that laboratory compliance is maintained at all times.
- Performs environmental and personnel monitoring activities, updating electronic records both promptly and accurately
- Proactively implements improvements to laboratory processes and procedures in accordance with 5S principles.
- Ensures a safe and healthy work environment at all times by not only complying with but actively embracing health and safety policies and procedures, ensuring the safety of yourself and others within the workplace
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
Who you are:
- Bachelor degree in Biological Sciences or higher degree in relevant scientific subject
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a scientific laboratory role, ideally within a contract testing laboratory environment
- Demonstrable scientific understanding about molecular biology, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), nucleic acid extraction and purification methods
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (GLP/GMP) would be advantageous
Knowledge & Skills:
- Computer literacy and entry of data into databases (LIMS, ELN, SAP, etc.)
- Ability to complete documentation (both handwritten and electronic) neatly and accurately
- Adheres to health and safety procedures and actively takes necessary action when encountering unsafe situations
- Technical and problem solving skills
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job
- Can learn new skills and knowledge quickly
- Uses logic to solve problems with effective solutions
- Makes good decisions
- Energy and Drive
- Enjoys working hard; is action-orientated and full of energy for the things he/she sees challenging
- Pursues everything with energy, drive and the need to finish, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Can be counted on to exceed goals, constantly and consistently, pushes self and others for results
- Personal and interpersonal skills
- Relates well to all kinds of people in the organization, builds constructive and effective relationships using diplomacy and tact
- Is seen as a team player, cooperative, easily gains support of peers, encourages collaboration
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
- Ability to work overtime or flexible shifts from time to time to cover testing requirements
What we offer: At Merck, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2merck.com