A career is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Corporate Affairs Executive (12 month paid internship) - Feltham, UK
Our company is looking for an enthusiastic candidate with a demonstrable interest in British politics, industrial policy and science, who possesses outstanding written and verbal communication skills, to support our growing Corporate and Government Affairs functions on a 12 month paid internship. Working across all three of our business sectors in the UK which span 14 sites, this individual will play a pivotal role in supporting external events, key stakeholder meetings and some group-wide media activity. They will lead on political monitoring and briefing work across a diverse range of topics from Brexit, industrial strategy to life sciences and energy. They will also be an internal champion for the function, communicating about activity and outcomes.
Support the Corporate Affairs Director, site heads and business leads to build the reputation of the organisation with key stakeholders based in the UK, including national and regional Government, Parliament, think tanks, industry associations and partners.
- Monitor UK politics and policy development, including on Brexit, business and trade, health, science, technology and innovation, and keep the business updated on relevant developments.
- Develop briefing materials for Merck representatives ahead of key stakeholder meetings, ensuring all messaging is consistent and aligned with approved positions.
- Contribute to the development of our policy positions on key areas of interest to the business.
- Support the planning and delivery of external stakeholder engagement, including site MP/MSP visits, as well as event logistics and attendance, ensuring relevant materials and position papers are produced and shared with key internal stakeholders.
- Contribute to all our 350th anniversary activity and events, including internal liaison and alignment across the businesses.
- Support local media engagement around site activity and potential to support national media engagement profiling our senior leaders.
- Provide internal updates, through a range of channels on Corporate Affairs activity and successes.
- Significantly contributes to the external profile and influence, and the positioning of the company brand.
Scope of People Responsibility
- Primarily working as part of a team but will need to take the lead on certain activities working directly with senior leaders and others across the company businesses to ensure delivery.
- This role is predominantly cross-functional and the successful candidate will engage with colleagues at a variety of levels (but particularly senior leaders) from all areas of the business, so strong interpersonal skills are a must.
Who you are:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Demonstrable interest in UK politics, preferably with some experience working in a political or policy environment
- Communications and events experience preferred
- Strong interest in science, technology and healthcare
- Strong and demonstrable internal and external stakeholder management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to analyse and summarise complex and technical information
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative and be able to work independently
COMPETENCIES FOR THE ROLE
- Time management
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail is critical
- Excellent command of the English language, both verbal and written.
- Good emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills.
- Willing and able to travel occasionally within the UK for meetings and events.
What we offer: We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!