A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your role: The Director of US Medical Excellence and Medical Training is responsible for developing and implementing a fully-integrated scientific and professional development training curriculum for US Medical, with a special focus on Field Medical (Medical Science Liaisons [MSL] and Health Economic and Outcomes Research [HEOR] field staff) for both internal and external needs. Responsibilities include management of a comprehensive scientific and technical training curriculum, process improvement/innovation, management of Field Medical training and material development budget, development and execution of analytics and reporting, and compliance related support. Strategic contributor to US Medical plans within assigned therapeutic areas. Deliver annual training plans that are aligned with and leverage global training plans and other global and local resources and that leverage adult learning, experiential learning and instructional design principles; liaise closely with Therapeutic Area heads, Field Medical Management and Field Medical staff to understand unmet educational and business needs to be address via the annual training plan. Collaborate with external healthcare providers, advocacy, consultants and/or other advisors to build and deliver training programs; ensure all training materials are approved via the appropriate review channel. Deliver mechanisms to track training program effectiveness (e.g. program surveys, Field Medical ride-alongs); deliver program updates and metrics analyses to business management on a regular basis. Maintain a scientific repository of product and therapeutic area materials used for training purposes that is easily accessible to field-based staff; leverage the Global Learning Management System to document training events and record training tests, surveys or other information in an auditable manner. Chair the Promotional and Scientific Materials Review or Joint Review Committee meetings per Therapeutic Area, as assigned. Key contributing member to the Medical Content Working Groups and Integrated Sciences Groups (e.g. Product teams).
Who you are:
- Advanced degree (MD, PhD, PharmD)
- 10+ years in pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- In depth knowledge of relevant therapeutic area(s) (e.g., Oncology, immunology, neurology, fertility and/or endocrinology)
- Track record of developing, communicating and disseminating scientific information in an effective manner (timely, accurate, balanced and easy to understand for multiple audiences)
- Demonstrated success in delivering effective training models for internal stakeholders
- Proven experience in healthcare provider(HCP)/key opinion leader (KOL) management, healthcare communications and interpreting scientific information
- Field-based experience via a prior role as Medical Science Liaison, Health Economic liaison or similar role
- Understanding of the product lifecycle process and the relationship effective medical communication
- Experience developing and implementing standards
- Deep understanding of drug development and lifecycle management
- Experience working in medical area for both pre-launch and in-line brands
- Knowledge of regulatory, legal and compliance standards and requirements across the drug lifecycle in US
- Demonstrated experience working with and leading cross-functional teams, locally and globally
Normal office duties Able to travel ~30% within US and abroad
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.