A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
EMD Performance Materials is searching for an applications engineer within our Ormet paste business supporting our conductive paste projects. We are seeking a highly motivated and creative individual with a strong scientific background and hands-on experience in assembly processes/equipment, metallurgy, solidification, solder paste, sintering, intellectual property systems and generation, and applications engineering for implementing such pastes. The person in this role will be responsible for understanding customer assembly processes, defining test vehicles and commensurate process conditions to ensure seemless implementation of Ormet paste products at the customer. Further, the engineer will be responsible for hands on operation of reflow ovens, dispense and print equipment, visual inspection and pick and place equipment at Ormet. This person will work closely with R&D to screen formulations to ensure adequate quality under conditions that mimic customer assembly processes. In addition, this scientist may be responsible for performing research to design innovative formulation concepts in-line with customers’ requirements for sintering pastes, run tests and studies. The candidate will be part of the highly talented multi-disciplinary R&D team of Ormet in San Diego.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop thorough understanding of the material, customer assembly and reliability requirements and support our Head of Technology in developing new products to create profitable growth for the Ormet business platform.
- Develop test vehicles to mimic customer requirements in both assembly and reliability testing.
- Drive the evaluation of competitor landscape and IP.
- Contribute to the generation of Intellectual Property.
- Contribute to new material formulations and support various R&D projects, run experiments and evaluate results.
- Work independently on the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental processing and reliability results.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental designs, assay development, experimental results, and data analysis.
- Support strategy for optimization of material development.
- Your possibilities to develop in our growing company are just as manifold as our product portfolio.
Who You Are:
- Minimum BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy, Materials Science or equivalent with 15+ years of experience in an appropriate technical or scientific discipline.
- Hands-on experience in flux and/or paste technologies and formulation.
- Must be able to work on assigned projects independently and to complete projects of high quality in a timely manner.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze, troubleshoot and overcome technical hurdles independently and methodically with minimal guidance.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- A broad understanding of the assembly process equipment set utilized for back end packaging is a must along with ability to operate such equipment.
- Understanding of reliability testing and test vehicle generation along with the aptitude to design and execute said tests.
- Understanding of Design of Experiments methodologies, and experience analyzing data using statistical analysis tools such as jmp.
- Detail-oriented with good time management skills.
- Prior intellectual property experience including writing and reviewing invention disclosures is a plus.
- Ability to stay proactive and cooperative working in a small team environment.
- The ability to communicate fluently in English is essential. The ability to speak other languages such as German, Japanese, Korean would be an asset.
- Regular international travel is required, with total travel time no more than 15%
- Strong presentation and written and verbal communication skills
- Effective computer skills in Microsoft Office suite, and e-mail/calendaring database systems, such as Outlook are preferred.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.