A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Supervise the packaging of both finished goods and custom packaged hazardous chemical products in compliance with all company operating procedures and governmental regulations (ISO, GMP, OSHA, DEA, DOT, CFR, IATA, IMO, etc…).
- Coordinate with Sales & Marketing, Packaging Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Compliance to resolve both product and customer concerns.
- Lead process improvements activities resulting in safety, quality, productivity and cost saving improvements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Direct and control work activities
- Determine staffing needs to accomplish specific work tasks and assign personnel accordingly. Schedule and approve overtime depending on workload.
- Schedule packaging workload; develop strategies to maximize safety, quality and productivity.
- Responsible for achieving established productivity, safety and service goals.
- Communicate with customers and vendors. Department expert for all customer and compliance audits.
- Reviews, evaluates, and develops employee skill and performance. Conducts formal employee performance appraisals. Applies company and departmental policies consistently. May supervise up to 20 employees.
- Recommends termination when the formal corrective action system has failed to change behaviors.
- Interviews and hires new employees.
- Review/Revise Departmental Standard Operating Procedures.
- Train employees and hold them accountable on current policies and procedures
- Work within all company and governmental regulations; including, ISO, GMP, DOT, CFR, IATA, IMO, OSHA and DEA guidelines.
- Continually evaluates processes and methods. Recommends and implements changes to improve methods, equipment performance, utilization of people, safety, and quality of department output.
- Ensure the continual improvement of the Packaging operation using PDSA methodology and the 1-pager
- Get direct reports involved in process improvement initiatives.
- Research and recommend equipment purchases providing the required financial justification.
- Ensure employees are trained on the safe handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Review chemical handling precautions for errors or inadequacies and correct. Ensure current handling precautions protect the employee, product and the environment.
- Ensure all packages conform to legal requirements for storage and shipping of hazardous materials according to governmental regulations (DOT, CFR, IATA and IMO) for ground, air and sea shipments.
- Respond to emergency situations. Active member of the emergency hazardous materials response team, medical response team or evacuation team.
- Audit for compliance to procedures, rules and regulations. Provide feedback for both safe and unsafe actions.
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed in order to guarantee customers receive product conforming to their expectations. Work with Sales & Marketing, Packaging Engineering and customers to provide cost effective packaging options. Provide custom packaging quotations when required.
- Train employees and maintain corporate quality systems including ISO registration
- Represent department during internal and external audits
- Respond to Corrective Action Requests (Internal & External Customers) within 10 days.
Who You Are
- Education: Bachelors Degree in Chemistry / Natural Science / Business or equivalent experience
- Experience: One to three years leadership experience. Additional experience chemical manufacturing or quality control preferred. .
- Essential and Critical Skills:
- Effective communication skills with all levels of staff, both verbal and written.
- Planning and organizational skills
- Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent problem solving skills and organizational ability.
- Proficient at Microsoft programs, such as Excel, Access, and Word. SAP knowledge helpful.
- Ability to lift or move 50 pounds and move greater than 50 pounds with equipment.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk sit twist and reach above the shoulders. The employee is required to use hands to handle materials and operate tools and equipment, to stand use feet to operate equipment, talk and hear and taste and smell.
The employee may be required to wear safety shoes, protective gloves and clothing, safety glasses and goggles while performing in this position.
Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This position may also require working in hot and humid warehouse conditions.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.