A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: This posting is for a field based technical sales specialist position within the Research Academic market segment. This role acts as a strategic partner and conduit between SMI and Research Academic sales, liaising between the two organizations and related stakeholders. You will also work in partnership with Commercial Marketing in liaison role to SMI. Preferred location is Boston.
- Provide technical selling support for Research Academic sales activities, especially in the coordination of scientific seminars at account sites, in-field training of Academic sales and coordination of customer collaboration projects.
- Provide technical selling support for the innovative life science workflows for Research Academic Field Manager Sales. (Example workflows include Gene Editing, Protein Workflow, and Cell Culture.)
- Support Academic sales in identifying, developing and closing high value opportunities to achieve/exceed sales targets.
- Work in coordination with Academic sales to provide effective technical sales support to the Academic sales team.
- Ability to build scientific credibility with customers, the Commercial organization and SMI.
- Rapidly acquire technical knowledge of MilliporeSigma innovations and position them into workflows and technical selling.
- In collaboration with SMI and Commercial Marketing, develop relevant new seminar content geared toward the Academic market segment.
- Act as customer advocate internally through enhancing information available to SMI, Research Academic Commercial organization, Commercial Marketing and other stakeholders related to customer feedback, competitive intelligence, market trends, effectiveness of marketing positioning and tactics in the field.
- Actively participate in the new product development process by validating market/customer requirements through providing voice of customer to drive adoption of new products and applications via alpha and beta trials, product launches, product portfolio planning, and short and long-term segment strategy activities.
- Engage and leverage key opinion leaders and networks and pursue/manage customer collaborations.
- Provide North American Academic input to global annual marketing plans for the RTS market portfolio.
- In coordination with Commercial Marketing, accountable for creating and executing regional tactical plans of actions that align with SMI strategy supporting Research Academic sales including development of local sales tools as needed.
- Actively incorporate lead generation activities for Research Academic markets providing a stream of qualified leads.
- Coordinate and/or participate in seminars, conferences, and/or tradeshows.
- Influence strategy related to pricing, positioning, segments, etc.
- Identify and report local competitive situations and translate into plan of action.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree with 8+ years’ experience, Master’s degree with 3+ years’ experience, or PhD
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology Science with laboratory experience is strongly preferred.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- Prior experience as an Application Scientist, Technical Support or Technical Sales is preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to present technical, customer-facing seminars on scientific research topics and products.
- Ability to troubleshoot and optimize protocols.
- Ability to develop solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of innovation and collaboration.
- Demonstrates ability to implement and execute successful plans of action that balance activities with customer needs, sales needs, and divisional needs.
- Approximately 30-40% overnight travel.
- Must live within the territory. No relocation packages are available.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.