A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Protein Engineering and Antibody Technologies department contributes to early-stage drug discovery projects by discovering and evaluating the clinical potential of biotherapeutic candidates. The group focuses on protein and antibody design, optimization and characterization for early stage development of biologics.
The candidate will contribute to early-stage discovery programs by independently designing and executing experiments with hands-on laboratory work to evaluate the clinical potential of antibodies and other biotherapeutic agents. Additionally, the candidate will contribute to innovation, ideation, and technology development programs to improve the discovery process.
Who you are:
- PhD (biochemistry, biology, chemistry, immunology, or a related field) with 0-3+ years of postdoctoral experience strongly preferred.
- MSc (research based in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, immunology, or a related field) with at least 5 years of industry experience strongly preferred. Bachelor’s degree with 3 plus years of experience or a Master’s degree is a minimum requirement.
- Experience with biophysical characterization of protein-protein interactions is essential. Experience with SPR/Biacore or BLI/Octet is highly desired.
- Prior experience in antibody research, including antibody engineering or developing antibody screening assays is highly desired.
- Knowledge of commonly utilized protein engineering technologies such as SpyTag/SpyCatcher, inteins, sortases and other similar technologies is an asset.
- An understanding of and experience in developing in vitro biochemical assays and familiarity with techniques such as SPR, BLI, SDS-PAGE, flow cytometry, ELISA, FPLC, and SEC is desired. A good knowledge of protein biochemistry is an asset.
- A desire to serve on and contribute to antibody discovery project teams.
- Autonomously prepare clear and concise study reports, presentations, and scientific papers with minimal revisions, and critically evaluate new technologies and advancements relevant to the field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills demonstrated with good presentation and publication records.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.