A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who we are:
EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the company has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in oncology, neurology, fertility, and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
This individual will lead Neurology and Immunology (N&I) Global Forecasting within the N&I Global Strategic Insights (GSI) group. This role helps N&I Franchise/ Brand Teams and senior leadership capitalize on opportunities and minimize risks associated with the valuation of the company’s N& I assets by supporting a systematic, standardized forecasting approach to create long-term, market-based and event-driven revenue forecast models for commercial products, pipeline candidates and new business opportunities.
- Ensure rigor and quality of revenue forecasting for key company N&I assets – projects could span commercially marketed products, internal pipeline development, in-licensing, M&A, and portfolio and strategic reviews, across all therapy areas
- Lead the coordination of N&I forecasting efforts during the Annual Planning Cycle (Strategy Development covering all projects, Portfolio Review of pipeline assets, input into Operational Planning for next year)
- Enable harmonized forecasting approaches across assets, with systematic documentation and transparency of key assumptions underlying the cash flows
- Ensure the credibility and robustness of forecasts by working closely with the other GSI functions, business partners, and regions to ensure that forecasters supporting each Franchise to obtain relevant and robust data; reconcile data differences; partner with MR leads to ensure quantitative MR fills data gaps; and partner with CI to ensure key intelligence questions support competitive forecasting assumptions
- Monitor and ensure appropriate level of rigor is applied in the development of forecasts depending on business needs and the decision to be made
- Provide guidance in the design of forecast models, and in the interpretation of revenue forecasts, and associated risks and opportunities, using sensitivity and/or alternate scenarios
- Brief multiple stakeholders, colleagues and managers so they can effectively communicate the assumptions and implications of those forecasts
- Ensure the company is maintaining pace with current industry best practices for forecasting and quantitative business analysis
- Represent GSI in cross-company projects with broad strategic or tactical objectives
- Providing management, standards, guidance and mentoring to forecasting associates supporting franchises
- During Strategy Development, help align process, assumptions and final long-term strategic revenue forecasts between global, regional, and priority markets, before generating consolidated results for inclusion in P&L models
Who you are:
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree is required, preferably in finance, engineering, molecular biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics. An MBA and/or significant industry experience a plus
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- A comprehensive approach to forecasting, with a good understanding of how to integrate secondary data analytics, epidemiology, primary market research and competitive intelligence insights is critical Experience in a broad set of specialty therapy areas preferable
- Ability to lead a cross-functional discussion in an organized and tactful manner, systematically using supporting information and logic, by building and defending cogent arguments; ability to guide the group to a consensus of opinion
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and assign resources accordingly
- Strong project management skills, i.e., the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and requirements simultaneously, and to lead operational work streams in a cross-functional matrix environment
- Experience managing various external agencies is preferred
- Experience with in-licensing and acquisitions, opportunity prioritization exercises and portfolio reviews is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior members within and/or across functional teams through superior analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Demonstrated competencies required in the following areas: collaboration, organization, written and verbal communication, accuracy, and personal initiative.
- Other requirements include concise and impactful written and verbal communications; first-hand experience working on and influencing multi-functional teams; and the ability to provide leadership across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to balance conflicting priorities.
- This position will require 10%-15% travel
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.