A career is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
A highly specialised and influential role is now available at our Medical Device manufacturing facility in Cork. We are looking curious and innovative process engineer with expertise in injection moulding. This could serve as a great opportunity for an individual to break into the Medical Device industry and to help change lives through optimising the manufacture and development of essential medical devices used by healthcare professionals all over the world. If you currently work in a regulated industry and possess expert knowledge of injection moulding processes then this is the role for you.
Reporting to the Biotools Process & Technology Manager, the Senior Molding Process Engineer is responsible for developing and sustaining optimum molding processes for the manufacturing of Medical Device molded components. The role will provide engineering support and guidance for all issues related to molding processes and will lead the molding process improvement initiative on site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process optimization using latest molding techniques / principles (eg. Scientific Molding).
- Troubleshoot molding / manufacturing processes to mitigate production defects.
- Support the Continuous Improvement strategy in conjunction with the Operations, Quality & Maintenance Engineering functions in relation to Molding processes on site.
- Identify, initiate and implement technology improvements, which increase productivity and reduce scrap/reject rates.
- Support robust root cause analysis and troubleshooting initiatives for molding related issues.
- Support and/ or lead technology improvements that advance our molding processes for new and existing products, in conjunction with the Maintenance group.
- Lead and support the Molding Department’s tooling process validation efforts.
- Participate in design reviews and FAT of new tooling and equipment working in conjunction with the Senior Tooling Engineer.
- Prepare complete and accurate records/documentation of assigned project activities in line with the Quality System and Validation Guidelines
- Coordinate and supervise a small team of direct reports to achieve site goals and key metrics.
- Coach and mentor the team and support continuous learning and development toward a performance excellence goal.
- Project Manage / Co-ordinate key projects within the areas of assigned responsibility.
- Identify and develop risk based approach to change management in conjunction with validation and QA groups.
- Ensure that accurate and representative process data is generated, gathered, analyzed and trended.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Polymer and/or Polymer Process Engineering essential.
- Advanced training in plastic injection molding processing essential.
- Extensive hands-on engineering experience in high volume Injection Molding facility.
- People management experience required.
- Medical Device experience highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Validation processes (IQ/OQ/PQ)
- Working knowledge of robot programming, hot runner molds, tooling issue diagnostics, molding machine diagnostics, central material handling systems and color blending.
- Processing knowledge of Polypropylene, Polycarbonate, Acrylic, ABS, Styrons and various other engineering grade resins.
- Familiar with SPC methodologies and the Scientific Molding Process.
- Data driven, disciplined, objective and detail oriented.
- Ability to read and interpret part and mold drawings.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and/or guidance.
- Familiarity with statistical problem solving techniques.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Knowledge of FDA regulations and other international compliance standards.
- Up-to-date knowledge of injection molding machine technology and capabilities.
- Ability to lead, guide and direct team members to support Process Engineering Initiatives.
- Very strong written and verbal communication, leadership, interpersonal and motivational skills
- Strong leadership skills including development of engineering staff, successfully executing engineering objectives and projects.
- Ability to lead by influence in a cross functional work environment.
- Excellent use of initiative and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to deal effectively with all employees and external business contacts.
- Effective presentation skills- both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of validation systems.
- Analytical & problem solving skills using recognised methodologies, a process improvement orientation, and the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Project, Word, PowerPoint at a minimum) and ability to use / learn Oracle as the company ERP system.
- Lean or Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certified.
- Project Management training or certification.
- RJG Master Molder certification (or other scientific molding certification)
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at