A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: To provide Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene, Safety & Environmental assistance to site management in the prevention of occupational injuries (and illnesses) and emissions to the environment. This position possesses many technical skills of Safety Specialists/Engineers, Environmental Specialists/Engineers and Industrial (Occupational) Hygienists. This position is dedicated to multiple site support.
- Assist site management in the reduction of injuries and incidents.
- Assist site management in ensuring compliance with environmental, occupational hygiene and safety regulatory requirements.
- Ensure site personnel are competent in performing Risk Assessments and ensuring needed Risk Assessments are completed.
- Identify risk reduction methods and work with site management in implementing those methods.
- Conduct EHS related training.
- Conduct safety inspections and ensure site personnel are competent in performing safety inspections.
- Interact routinely with site management, supervision and personnel on EHS related matters.
- Prepare EHS compliance related reports and correspondence, both internally and externally (regulatory bodies).
- Ensure sites are prepared for and ready to respond in the event of emergency.
- Ensure sites’ EHS Management System is in place and functioning effectively to include:
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment & Control
- Legal and Other Requirements
- Implementation and Operation
- Structure and Responsibility
- Training, Awareness and Competence
- Consultation and Communication
- Document and Data Control
- Operational Control
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Checking and Corrective Action
- Performance Management and Monitoring
- Accidents, Incidents, Non-conformances, & Corrective & Preventive Action
- Records and Record Management
- Management Review
Who You Are:
- BS Degree is required, major in Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Environmental Engineering is strongly preferred, Chemistry or other science related degree which includes chemistry along with additional technical training in many of the essential job function elements may be an acceptable alternative.
- 5 + years of EHS related experience in the chemical, specialty chemical and/or pharmaceutical industry.
- Certification in one of the following disciplines: Certified Industrial Hygienist (American Board of Certified Industrial Hygienist), Certified Safety Professional (Board of Certified Safety Professionals), or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (Institute of Hazardous Materials Management). Comparable certifying organization within the hiring country/region would substitute for these requirements.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- This position requires a technical knowledge and ability to apply most of the following skill sets based on the assigned locations:
- Environmental compliance standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing.
- Occupational Health and Safety standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing, maintenance activities and product distribution.
- Basic perimeter security methods
- Emergency preparedness and response related to; security, fire, chemical, medical and nature caused events.
- Musculoskeletal disorder prevention.
- Chemical and biological laboratory safety.
- Hazard control methods.
- Basic principles and methods of statistical analysis.
- Construction safety.
- Fundamentals of Loss Control.
- Water emissions quantification and basic control technologies.
- Air emissions quantification and basic control technologies.
- Solid hazardous waste control and disposal technologies.
- Occupational disease prevention and control methods.
- Industrial ventilation (general and local exhaust) and basic indoor air contaminant control methods.
- Basic industrial toxicology.
- Personal protective equipment including PPE program administration.
- Adult training program development and delivery.
- Respiratory protection including program administration.
- Basic Industrial (Occupational) Hygiene assessment and sampling methods.
- Basic Accident investigation methods.
- Electrical safety fundamentals.
- Basic hazardous work (confined space entry, hot work and line breaking) safety fundamentals.
- Flammable and combustible liquids safety fundamentals.
- Risk assessment fundamentals.
- Basic process safety management practices.
- Basic Life Safety (emergency egress, lighting and alarms) practices.
- Basic fire detection and suppression methods.
- Incipient fire suppression techniques.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
This position requires the ability to:
- Don/doff and wear PPE including emergency response equipment,
- Walk and climb steps routinely.
- Work in ambient temperature and humidity environments.
- Perform public speaking to include meeting with and provide training for site personnel
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.