A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Senior Director R&D is responsible for directing, reviewing, proactively challenging and controlling the status of R&D projects and budgets, managing schedules, preparing status reports and leading teams in achieving the BioP organizations 3-5 year strategy. This position directs all activities related to new product launches ensuring customer needs, budgets and marketing requirements are all met.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Ratify selection of strategic initiatives to be worked on. Ensure annual plan and goals in place. Monitor progression against plan.
- Ensure appropriate resources available to support plans (equipment & people). Secure adequate budget and manage against the same.
- Develop plan for future department evolution. Including initiatives, capability extensions, personnel, equipment and space.
- Develop and train managers (work with my staff to do the same). Includes personnel assessment and dept gap analysis.
- Insure dept plans in alignment with BU goals. Interface with peer managers and superiors to ensure good cross-functional cooperation and support on key BU initiatives.
- Understand BU IP position and implementation with internal and external groups (primarily customers). Develop IP position and strategy within dept and implement.
- Understand competition. Develop a near term response and look to evolve superior competitive position in long term. Develop and implement plan.
- Develop and maintain key external relationships with customers, vendors and partners
- Manage functional managers responsible for service and product development (Portfolio of reporting team)
- Main functions: Prioritization, Customer satisfaction, employee retention and adherence to career development, fiscal responsibility and project execution (achieving ROI, schedule accuracy, technical achievement)
- Manages the Project Portfolio through the Stage Gate Project Management tool while providing leadership and direct oversight of all R&D activities.
- Evaluates new technology and makes recommendations concerning licensing and acquisitions of new technology
Education/ Formal Training Required:
PhD in life sciences
In lieu of PhD, BS or MSc + verifiable product launch experience
Job and Industry Experience Required:
- 10+ yrs Product Development in life sciences industry.
- 5 years significant experience managing Project Portfolios and providing analytics
- 7+yrs overseeing R&D staff/project groups with a preferred focus on cellular biology, product development, engineering, microbiology and quality assurance.
- Fully integrate commercial team with technical in driving revenue.
- Customer, collaboration and colleague interaction
- Actively engage outside scientists and customers in collaboration
- Maintain scientific scholarship. Networking
- Formulate strategy and policy
- Monitor the Biopharmaceutical field, Paradigm shift in Biosciences.
- Integrate R&D activities with all BioP: Marketing, Business Development, Quality, QC and Sales
- New technology identification and review
- Assist marketing in acquiring/licensing/reviewing technologies:
- Work on Global acquisition team when needed
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.