A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Primarily responsible for overseeing and ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations with laboratory operations conducting research with hazardous chemicals and biohazardous materials.
Specific tasks include:
- Manage the laboratory audit program ensuring that preventive and corrective actions are taken.
- Coordinate and lead the Chemical and Biological Safety Committees.
- Coordinate the Institutional Biological Safety Committee.
- Develop, modify and implement annual laboratory safety refresher trainings.
- Manage compliance of the Radiation Safety program ensuring staff conduct weekly wipe test surveys, audits, and recordkeeping.
- Provide safety support to the vivarium facility including reviewing and approving of protocols to ensure safe and compliant operations.
- Maintain all applicable recordkeeping including: training records, permitting, and occupational health records.
- Complete thorough documented investigations of near misses, injuries, and other safety or environmental related incidents.
- Support new employee health and safety orientation by providing safety training programs to new employees and contractors.
- Support environmental compliance programs such as hazardous waste management and sustainability.
- Support EHS Department on Lab Safety matters as needed.
- Act as liaison between R&D staff and EHS Department.
- Support metrics reporting and communications back to team and the business.
- Support EHS Department and Senior Manager EHS as needed with operational and compliance support of other Environmental Health and Safety programs including, but not limited to:
- Facilities Safety, Fall Protection, Confined Space, LOTO, Fire Safety
- ISO 14001, SPCC, Waste Management, Industrial Wastewater
- Construction Safety, Contractor Safety
- OSHA 300
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Environmental, Health & Safety, or Engineering field required; Safety or Environmental certifications, a plus.
- A plus if trained in IATA, Radiation Safety, MA Industrial Wastewater Licensed, Industrial Hygiene
- Completed and current with: OSHA Haz WOPER, RCRA, DOT Haz-Mat, First Aid/CPR/AED
- Minimum of 4 years of direct Laboratory Safety experience including biological safety operations in a laboratory setting and Environmental Health & Safety experience in biotech/pharmaceuticals research with excellent analytical, problem solving and response management skills
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laboratory safety regulations and lab operations.
- Demonstrated accomplishments in implementing and maintaining effective programs including Biological Safety (BL1 & BL2), Chemical Safety, and Hazardous Waste management.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.