A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who We Are: EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the brand has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in neurology, fertility and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
Your Role: The Scientific Data Analyst is responsible for providing analytical expertise as well as statistical support in order to optimize the US Medical team’s ability to maximize the productivity of data generation activities, and to ensure that innovative and efficient statistical methods are applied to “big data” research projects within the therapeutic area of multiple sclerosis. This exceptional opportunity offers the chance to support research and development efforts within multiple sclerosis, as well as statistical analysis and big data.
Who You Are:
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Understand and explore data patterns. Discover new statistical ways to interpret data using a deep understanding of statistical methods
- Translate research questions into defined data science challenges and solve them.
- Assist with big data analysis implementation
- Provide statistical methodological input into data generation plans; provide support for Medical Affairs-driven clinical studies
- Provide support for publications and attend scientific congresses to present data/techniques
- Participate in global efforts to maintain statistical aspects of standard operating procedures and working instructions; create new policies where applicable
- Keep abreast of current statistical literature and regulatory guidelines, and communicate developments cross-functionally
- Serve as a biostatistics resource for concept formulation, protocol planning, analysis planning and implementation, and results interpretation
- Lead statistical training for non-statisticians within Medical Affairs
- Represent EMD Serono in regulatory efforts if required to support communication of statistical methodology
- Leverage data science techniques in data analytics and key performance metric tracking
- Leverage natural language processing techniques to analyze free text
- General: Foster dynamic and effective collaboration with therapeutic area teams, Medical Communications, Medical Information, Field Medical, Scientific Directors, Medical Directors, Finance, Regional Clinical Operations, Development, Global Business Franchises, Global Medical Affairs, Legal, Regulatory, Compliance and external experts. Take on other, related duties and initiatives as identified and as assigned.
Education Level and Languages Required
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, data science, computer science, engineering, physics, or other scientific field of study is required. Advanced degree (PhD) preferred.
- Clear oral and written English
Professional Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- 5 years of experience within biopharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Proven relevant experience in data analytics and biostatistics
- Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to work hard and be creative in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues.
- Capable of working in a team environment with good communication.
- A record of accomplishment is preferred.
- Understanding of drug development and lifecycle management, medical affairs operations, conduct/analysis of clinical trials, and regulatory/legal requirements across product lifecycle
- Experience driving study execution by working collaboratively with relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated agility, as well as ability to persevere through unforeseen challenges and shifting priorities to deliver on imperatives
- Meeting challenges consistently and confidently with energy and drive
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across functions in a complex organization and fast-paced business environment
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate statistical concepts to colleagues without statistical expertise
- Advanced software skills
- Knowledge of multiple sclerosis or similar chronic autoimmune disorder is a plus but not required
- Experience with multi-center academic collaborations is desired
- Up to 15% domestic and international travel
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.