A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who We Are: EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the brand has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in neurology, fertility and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
Your Role: Strong source of support for Head, Patient Outcomes and Solutions in the development, successful execution, and tracking of strategic plans, studies and analyses to ensure on time, on target, on budget delivery. The Director will also follow all company policies, processes and procedures pertinent to this role.
Who You Are:
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning and Execution: Support timely development and approvals of annual Patient Outcomes & Solution plans and activities/studies therein. Ensure team follows pertinent global/US processes in a compliant manner; engage and align with global counterparts, and actively communicate with key stakeholders from inception through execution and monitoring of plan. Deliver results on time and on target.
- Budget Forecasting and Tracking: In collaboration with key stakeholders, build corresponding annual/launch and long-range budget submissions for studies and initiatives. Deliver results on budget.
- Program Management: Apply appropriate project management methods to drive success of assigned programs and initiatives (develop cost estimates and timelines, ensure resources are available to execute).
- General: Foster dynamic and effective collaboration with therapeutic area teams, Medical Communications, Medical Information, Field Medical, Scientific Directors, Medical Directors, Finance, Regional Clinical Operations, Development, Global Business Franchises, Global Medical Affairs, external healthcare professionals, professional societies, and patient advocacy organizations. Take on other, related duties and initiatives as identified and as assigned.
Education Level and Languages Required
- Bachelor’s degree in science or business required. Advanced degree preferred.
- MCPM or PMP desirable
- Clear oral and written English
Professional Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience—direct or through strategy consulting
- Significant experience in patient-reported outcomes
- Understanding of drug development and lifecycle management, medical affairs operations, and regulatory/legal requirements across product lifecycle
- Experience driving study execution by working collaboratively with relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Adept at considering a broad range of factors to shape strategic plans and successful execution
- Demonstrated agility, as well as ability to persevere through unforeseen challenges and shifting priorities to deliver on imperatives
- Meeting challenges consistently and confidently with energy and drive
- Expertise in program management methods (action plans, monitoring tools, directive and supportive techniques)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building results. Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across functions in a complex organization and fast-paced business environment
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Advanced software skills, particularly MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of multiple sclerosis or similar chronic autoimmune disorder is a plus
- Up to 35% domestic and international travel
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.