A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Principal Scientist will provide scientific leadership and cellular immunology expertise to a group of scientists that drive multiple drug discovery projects. Primary requirements include a strong background in innate and adaptive immunity, experience in human autoimmune diseases and translational biomarker research with a proven track record of peer reviewed publications.
- Manage scientific staff. Set priorities, manage performance and quality, coach/mentor and motivate a team of scientists.
- Support the development of scientist in the team and take measures to create a team environment that encourages innovation and ensures high productivity.
- Lead drug discovery project efforts in target assessment, cell-based assay development, coordinate multi-functional team efforts, and drive the strategy for milestone progression
- Guide and supervise the development and implementation of human immune cell-based assays for the validation of key targets/pathways and assessment of drug candidates.
- Propose new target concepts and validation strategies for targets and pathways relevant to human autoimmune diseases (such as lupus).
- Provide expertise in a variety of translational research technology platforms including, flow cytometry, immunophenotyping, functional and molecular assays.
- Keep abreast of current and emerging scientific and technological innovations in the field and apply them to drug discovery and development efforts. Act as an expert resource in his/her scientific field and in related disciplines.
- Critique, prioritize and give credible scientific input on new concepts and other ideas. Represent and increase the scientific reputation of EMD Serono at external scientific meetings.
- Manage external academic and industry scientific collaborations by communicating and collaborating effectively with CROs, consultants and other external scientists and organizations.
- Communicate effectively and precisely in written and oral form. Write high quality scientific reports, publications and have excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Publish novel research findings in top-tier scientific, technical or medical journals.
- Keep supervisor and direct reports informed of progress and activities. Participate actively in department meetings, project meetings and other global and local committee meetings, and share openly scientific ideas, and technology knowledge. Assume responsibility for executing strategic initiatives within the function.
Who you are:
- PhD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. immunology) strongly preferred
- A minimum of 8 plus years of post-doctoral experience in basic research either in an academic and/or industry setting strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of experience, master’s degree with 3 plus years of experience, or PhD degree minimum requirements
- Must have proven track record of effective team and project leadership within cross-functional teams, including decision making, influencing, integrating input from various functions, interpreting scientific results from large and complex experiments, communicating effectively and managing highly performing project teams.
- Must have proven scientific excellence in Cellular and Translational immunology, as evidence by a strong publication record in peer reviewed journals
- Expertise in inflammatory diseases and mechanisms of immune tolerance and homeostasis, with strength in the characterization and analysis of innate and adaptive cell populations is highly desirable;
- Experience with translational research technology platforms such as in vitro immunoassays, flow cytometry, gene expression analysis and protein profiling platforms
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in spoken and written English is required
- Matrix team leadership experience
- Proven track record of managing and developing scientists
- Dedicated team spirit, collaborative behavior, and good interpersonal skills
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.