A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
A key member of MilliporeSigma Controlling team, the Business Controller provides financial and business partnering support for Biosystems and Regulated Materials Business Unit in NorthAmerica. The Business controller will provide financial decision support on a wide scope of operational matters impacting the achievement of the Business’ objectives. The role includes, but not limited to, participating in the construction of the annual operating plan for expense cost centers and capital projects and actively manage the month-end closing process; financial analysis and business partnering for the NorthAmerica Commercial teams including Diagnostics Customer Segment. Ability to work across departments within the company including senior management will be a priority.
1. Business Partnering:
- Primary contact for business to provide detailed insight into Spending & Sales.
- Supports BRM leadership team including expense tracking & monitoring to ensure that the organization meets its financial objectives, capital requests/projects, synergy tracking and risk reporting.
- Act as an adding value function providing analysis and scenarios in relation with any required business case.
2. Reporting and Closing:
- Creates timely management reporting, including commentary comparing actuals versus forecast and prior year. Responsible to highlight areas of concerns to business partner and manager.
- Support commercial revenue- and expense-reporting, ensuring control, accuracy, predictability and timely delivery of figures, analysis and comments. Ensure all regional and related corporate reporting for LS is completed accurately and on-time as directed.
- Creates spending reports to assist management in controlling cost.
- Participates actively in month end close, preparing journal entries, accruals. Implement processes to support in collaboration with local Finance Operation and Shared Service Center
- Ad hoc reporting and projects as required including Global Consolidation of revenue Forecast
- Working closely with HR to understand headcount development, understanding of open positions and providing the financial impact of hiring lags or investments.
- Financial and Valuation of Commercial teams in NA
- Tracks and maintains project reporting – proactively alerting management to overspending risks.
- Coordinates with Applied Commercial team to understand inputs and ensures forecast inputs are reasonable
- Coordinates and compiles Operating Plan
- Ensures deadlines are adhered to
5. Process Excellence:
- Demonstrates functional excellence in positional responsibilities, including but not limited to: Operating Plan, periodic forecasts, reporting, analysis and ensuring efficiency of each process.
- Documents financial processes with a focus on sharing common financial processes
- Uses process excellence tools and methodologies to improve processes, eliminate waste and create value for the business and the finance function.
6. Internal Controls:
- Maintains the appropriate environment of internal financial controls in all aspects of the business unit to ensure that financial statements are free from material error.
- When necessary, establish clear procedures and share with the business.
- Ensures the consistent implementation of the accounting policies, with particular attention to areas requiring judgment and estimation. Actively ensure and share best practices.
- Works and manages effectively across the company’s matrix organization. Promotes effective lateral communication and coordination across groups.
- Support Applied team in pursuit financial targets sharing of financial knowledge.
Knowledge, Skills, Education & Competencies
- Possesses the behavioral attributes of the competencies in the Competency Compass: teamwork, customer-orientation, communication with impact, strategic orientation and results orientation Advanced analytical skills, particularly with forecasting and reporting. Seeks to understand issues at a deeper or broader level.
- Experience with enterprise general ledger systems performing journal entries and reconciling accounts. Preferably Oracle and SAP.
- Intermediate skill using automated tools for forecasting and reporting.
- Develops productive cross-functional working relationships.
- Change Agent - willing to evaluate status quo and take action to change when necessary. Recommends and implements continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ability to prioritize workload. Develops and manages processes that are effective and efficient.
- Business Insight - Understands his/her contribution to the overall finance function, business or business process has advanced analytical skills, particularly with forecasting and reporting.
- Decision Making - Takes responsibility and initiative to act and think independently but should ensure supervisor is an agreement with decisions taken
- Exceptional Excel and Power Point Skills.
- Degree in accounting/finance with at least 5 years relevant accounting, budgeting, general ledger, and financial planning experience. Position requires basic understanding and application of financial principles, concepts, practices and standards.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.