A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Scientist will contribute to the achievement of drug discovery project goals through the synthesis of target molecules by applying modern organic synthetic methods and following best medicinal chemistry practices and will:
- Independently develop and execute routes for the synthesis of target molecules, as well as troubleshoot reactions and multistep reaction sequences
- Be expert in mining chemical and other scientific literature
- Propose and explore alternative synthetic routes and synthetic strategies
- Maintain close collaboration with fellow chemists in a team environment that is focused on achieving success towards common goals
- Prepare and deliver reports, internal and external presentations in timely manner
- Ensure that the company's intellectual property is fully protected by keeping detailed experimental details in laboratory notebooks according to company policy
- Create ideas for new molecules based on SAR/SPR analysis, structural information, HTS, fragment screening results, literature reports or other information
- Participate actively in department meetings, project meetings, as needed.
- Adhere to safe laboratory practices and comply with EHS, safety officers, and delegates to ensure that the laboratory is a safe environment. Recognize potential safety issues, discuss them with EHS and management and act to rectify them.
- Assume responsibility for certain laboratory equipment and ensure that they are properly maintained and serviced and facilitate their use by other scientists.
Who you are:
- A bachelor’s degree with 5 plus year of experience in chemistry or related science with proven scientific proficiency in organic synthesis or medicinal chemistry is required.
- A master’s degree with 3 plus years of experience in chemistry or related science with proven scientific proficiency in organic synthesis or medicinal chemistry is preferred.
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of safety regulations, EHS is preferred.
- This role will also require excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to be self-driven, self-motivated with scientific curiosity and have dedicated team spirit
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.