A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: The overarching goal objective for this position is to ensure that competitive intelligence and analytics inform decision making by creating transparency on information, and through collaboration with global and regional colleagues to ensure an aligned view is developed and communicated to the organization. This position will be responsible for a diverse set of activities across competitive intelligence and analytics.
The person in this role will lead the development, analysis, and dissemination of competitive intelligence through the leadership of cross-functional initiatives and close partnership with other GSI colleagues to ensure CI findings are integrated into other key deliverables and recommendations. Additionally, they will partner with other internal organizations to leverage existing information, to ensure competitor information, analyses and recommendations are broadly communicated, understood and acted upon. They will provide an objective commercial viewpoint for stakeholders based on an in-depth understanding and analysis of commercial, clinical, and scientific competitive information.
This role will also be responsible for supporting adhoc analytics requests including secondary data analysis (related and unrelated to CI), and analysis and reporting in support of identification and tracking of KPIs for assets of interest. The ideal candidate will have experience with commercial analytics, third party databases such as IMS, forecasting, and integration of primary and secondary market research with other data sources. There will be opportunities for the person in this role to work more broadly across the GSI areas.
- Prepare in-depth analysis of key competitors’ strategies, offering insights to support key business decisions
- Support competitive landscape development for key products and disease states of interest
- Facilitate the monitoring of assigned competitor activities by external vendors and update key stakeholders on implications to build and sustain strategic and tactical competitive advantage
- Provide robust competitive assessments and insights that inform key decision-making processes such as strategic brand planning, long- and short-range forecasting, and lifecycle management
- Attend major medical conferences, leading the analysis and reporting of onsite competitive activities, pursuing answers to established key intelligence topics and questions
- Manage the CI agencies to optimize intelligence inputs to our business, while following Corporate Intelligence Ethics Policy Guidelines
- Research and synthesize information from a wide variety of secondary and primary sources
- Leverage CI insights into assigned brand plans, strategic plans, and other key business documents
- Partner with GSI leadership and brand team to improve overall analytics delivery to the global brand team
- Analyze and audit current reporting and data available to support upcoming product launches and ongoing assessment of inline brand performance; partner with brand team to ensure KPIs selected to track for upcoming launch are measurable and indicative of on track performance
- Design, commission and manage some market research or other third-party analysis (develop requests for proposals, obtain competitive bids, awards contracts to market research agencies; manages the activities of the market research agencies and reviews their performance against proposals and budgets.)
- Analyze and monitor the performance of key brands/competition through management and analysis of key performance indicators (KPIs) and communicate results and recommendations to the brand teams. Provide expertise as data consultant on secondary data resources and identify appropriate uses of each resource, such as conducting product sales tracking, market trend analysis and performance reports.
Who You Are:
- Degree level education preferably in science or equivalent experience. Post-graduate degree strongly preferred (MA, MS, MBA, PhD).
- 6-8 years of relevant competitive intelligence and commercial analytics experience.
- You have proven leadership skills at the Area level (Leading without Experience analyzing and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative information, identifying implications and observing patterns, making correct inferences, drawing conclusions, explaining facts, data, or information to evaluate competitors' products/services, strategic direction, and core competencies utilizing a wide variety of secondary and primary resources to produce intelligence deliverables.
- In job experience in a CI role with responsibilities that included external competitive monitoring and congress coverage
- Broad experience in the key functional areas of CI, analytics and market research including the ability to understand and identify key business levers
- Strong strategic skills including ability to see the big picture, conceptual/out of the box thinking, proven senior management presence and exceptional communication skills are a must.
- Working knowledge of classic industry secondary data/information sources.
- Experience with higher level analytics such as models and forecasting
- Understanding of marketing/commercial and key financial levers within the pharmaceutical environment a must.
- Global experience strongly preferred
- Expert level Powerpoint and Excel skills required to effectively showcase how market research results tell a story and inform decisions and to understand forecasting models and manipulate performance reporting tools
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior members within and/or across functional teams through superior analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Demonstrated competencies required in the following areas: collaboration, organization, written and verbal communication, accuracy, and personal initiative.
- Other requirements include concise and impactful written and verbal communications; first-hand experience working on and influencing multi-functional teams; and the ability to provide leadership across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to balance conflicting priorities.
- This position may require up to 20% travel.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.