A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: Monitor and direct the activities of Packaging Supervisors and Associates to ensure productivity, inventory accuracy, quality, service and safety, while managing departmental change and directing supervisors who are responsible for day to day activities. This includes training, mentoring and motivating employees, as well as establishing performance standards, monitoring employees’ performance against those standards, and appropriately communicating evaluations of performance to employees. This job is also responsible for the identification and implementation of system and/or process improvements. Lastly, an Associate Manager must also solve problems related to unusual or difficult customer requests or situations that occur within the Packaging operation. The Associate Manager is responsible for control of receiving and storage of bulk, or finished goods, order filling, packing, or shipping of customer orders in compliance with all company operating procedures and government regulations (ISO, OSHA, DOT, CFR, IATA, etc
- Manages the department under direction of the department manager.
- Assists with preparation and monitoring of department budget
- Participates in talent selection process.
- Engages in performance management and discussions to retain and develop employees.
- Resolves and maintains employee relations through effective communication for the area including, team meetings and daily interaction.
- Mentors and leads daily activities of Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and Supervisor Trainee positions.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to staff.
- Ensures company safety, work and housekeeping standards. Evaluates processes and methods, recommends and implements measures to improve safety. Ensure employees are trained on safe
- Responds to emergency situations. Active member of the emergency hazardous materials response team, medical response team or evacuation team
- Addressing unsafe situations and preventing interruption of operations by being an active member of the Chemical Spill Team
- Recognize and initiate near miss reports. Complete accident/incident investigation reports within required time
- Conducts audits for compliance to procedures, rules and regulations. Provide feedback for both safe and unsafe actions
- Review and revise departmental SOPs.
- Monitor resources daily and schedules workload and staff accordingly for entire distribution center.
- Distributes work assignments.
- Maintains required documentation including unit records, productivity, and activity reports.
- Monitors labor and materials to control costs. Ensures supplies are ordered and used appropriately.
- Leads, initiates, promote and actively participate in process improvement initiatives and cross functional teams resulting in safety, quality, productivity and cost saving improvements.
- Facilitates participation from direct reports with process improvement projects.
- Reviews distribution and warehousing operation and recommends improvements.
- Ensures the correct chemicals are received, stored, packed and shipped to meet customer’s expectations and in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Ensure all packages conform to legal requirements for storage, and shipping of hazardous materials (DOT, 49 CFR, IATA and IMO) as well as corporate and Zurich policies
- Communicates with customers on special requirements and responds to corrective action requests
- Represents department during internal and external audits
- Research and recommend equipment including capital improvement projects and provide financial justification.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively negotiate within internal and external departments to achieve the best versus easiest/most popular outcomes.
- Leads large scale, cross functional projects of diversified scope.
- Works on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within defined practices and policies and selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Manage and maintain multiple projects and timelines with minimal supervision.
- Mentors, trains and develops staff, including Senior Supervisors, Supervisors and Supervisor Trainees on new or existing processes and/or procedures.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Direct supervision of up to 3 exempt roles and 50 non-exempt roles.
- Miscellaneous duties and tasks as assigned
Who You Are
- Education: Requires a Bachelors degree in Operations, Logistics, Natural Science, or Business. Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry preferred.
- Experience: Prefers a minimum four years of supervisory experience, with successful completion of Supervisor Trainee Program. Additional operational experience in a Distribution Center or Chemical Manufacturing environment is preferred. Strong SAP and/or Manhattan experience a plus.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding how to manage, motivate, and develop employees.
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft products, SAP, SAINT, Manhattan, Mainframe, HAZD, C of A, Clippership, Workflow, and other Sigma-Aldrich systems which affect overall inventory accuracy and material movement processes.
- Excellent time management and communication (verbal, listening, and written) skills.
- General knowledge of process improvement techniques and basic change concepts.
- Ability to train staff on new or existing processes and/or procedures.
- Knowledge of hazardous storage, and shipping regulations.
- Knowledge of PDSA and 5S techniques.
- Ability to implement change.
- Problem solving capabilities, able to think quickly and make quick rational decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate powered material handling equipment.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.