A career is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Merck is a leading science and technology company in healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 50,000 employees in 67 countries work to further develop technologies that improve and enhance life -from biopharmaceutical therapies to treat cancer or multiple sclerosis, cutting-edge systems for scientific research and production, to liquid crystals for smartphones and LCD televisions.
Your role: The scope of the role in terms of value of sales and number of accounts will be determined by the Sales Manager responsible for the Inside Sales function. The Inside Sales Account Manager will focus on a set of specific accounts (determined by volume, geography or customer importance) and is expected to meet or exceed set sales targets, through growing existing accounts and creating additional business or new accounts.
The Inside Sales Account Manager will utilise call planning, pipeline management, lead identification and qualification, proactive sales calling and performance monitoring to drive the sales and achieve the set sales target. He/she will also be required to work closely with colleagues from other business units and functions such as Technical Services, Marketing, Technical Management, Sales Support, Customer Service, Manufacturing and Supply Chain.
* Successfully manage and deliver against individual and team sales targets against a specified area of responsibility (e.g. region, key accounts)
* Understand the customer's business, their needs and goals and identify potential new business
* Identify market and competitor activity, product and industry developments
* Conduct sales calls using agreed methodology. This will largely be by telephone but could also involve face to face visits.
* Identify and qualify leads from internal and external sources.
* Identify, build relationship with appropriate decision makers within Customers and manage negotiations on deals and price
* Provide performance reports and metrics and other data as required to customers and internally within the organization.
* Manage and report a pipeline of activity for the given area of responsibility
* Identify general areas for improvements to maximize customer satisfaction, streamline processes, increase sales, improve delivery and product availability etc.
* Comply with guidelines surrounding Company systems and other relevant policies
* Manage contract implementation where appropriate.
* Participate in product, market, commercial and systems training.
Education: Scientific degree and/ or industry/sales experience.
Experience: Some sales experience preferably within a similar industry. This could include internal sales experience.
Knowledge and Skills
Some but preferably sound Key account management, developing strategic relationships, negotiation and contract implementation.
Relevant technical knowledge specific to the role.
Able to work autonomously and collaboratively as part of a team.
Self-motivated, able to prioritise, strong organisational and time management skills.
Strong Interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Ability to produce and interpret sales data in various formats.
Understanding of customers and understanding the process to identify market dynamics and competition.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at