A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Senior Scientist, ImmunoBiology will provide scientific leadership and expertise to support multiple ImmunoOncology projects. The selected candidate must lead cross-functional discovery project team. The selected candidate should have demonstrated scientific leadership and expertise in the field of Immunology and/or Cancer Immunotherapy. The person should actively strengthen the cancer immunotherapy pipeline through championing internal projects and managing/supporting collaborations with external partners.
- Design, execute and interpret studies on the development of biologic and small molecule immunomodulators and immunomodulator combinations for the treatment of cancer using in vitro and ex vivo human immunology experimental systems
- Work in collaboration with other members of the Immuno-Oncology TIP in designing human immunology models to test new immumodulators also being tested in murine and other animal models
- Significantly improves, changes or adapts existing methods and techniques. Implements cutting edge technologies and methodologies to investigate immune function.
- Develops research solutions that require extensive analysis and detailed investigation.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues within the ImmunoOncology platform, across the global organization, as well as manage external collaborations with various industry partners
- Present scientific results to multidisciplinary teams and senior management
- Develops innovative ideas, concepts and approaches for immunotherapy and project workflow
- Keeps on the look-out, develops, and incorporates when needed new assay technologies or platforms to expedite the research and improve data quality, reliability, and predictive value when moving to later stages of early clinical development
Who you are:
- A strong background in human cellular immunology, immune regulation and immune metabolism, preferably in cancer immunotherapy, as evidenced by peer reviewed publications in top-tier journals, would be an important asset for this position. Experience with human immune cell assays
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 plus years of experience or master’s degree required
- An advance degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. immunology, cancer immunology, oncology), with 2 plus years of post-PhD experience either in an industrial and/or academic setting (industrial research setting is preferred)
- Hands on experiences in culture of primary immune cells and tumor infiltrating lymphocytes and 3-D culture of tumor tissues.
- Ability to conceptualize innovative ideas for immunotherapy and research assay tools
- Familiarity with human and mouse tumor models and mechanisms of anti-tumor responses with strength in the analysis of the activity of human innate and adaptive cell populations and measuring anti-tumor effector lymphocyte responses
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally
- Team oriented work ethic and ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Outstanding presentation and interpersonal communication skills
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.