A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: This position will be responsible for secondary data analytics, primary global market research, and business analyses that strategically inform key business decisions for the company’s growing pipeline of Neurology and Immunology products. Specific responsibilities include assessing and guiding secondary data needs, designing and executing primary market research, coordinating some competitive intelligence requirements, and actively contributing to strategic discussions to optimize pipeline opportunities. He or she will deploy methodologies and advanced analytic tools and capabilities which reflect best practices, and ultimately will ensure that customer insight informs the product development process.
- Reports to and partners with the head of the N&I Global Strategic Insights (GSI Senior Insights Lead) to ensure internal business partner expectations are met or exceeded
- Analyze, integrate and interpret results from CI, secondary and primary market research, prepare meaningful, timely reports and presentations for brand teams and senior management, and ensure information is communicated clearly and effectively to all key stakeholders (global, regional and country levels).
- Identify, evaluate and help purchase global secondary data reports and databases that support the pipeline; recommend appropriate uses of each resource
- Design primary market research, both qualitative and quantitative, to support business decisions for pre-launch N&I assets
- Develop, execute, and maintain market research/project plans and budgets; MR will cover key global markets including the G7 and occasionally BRIC markets
- Ensure compliance with internal process and policies regarding the development and approval of market research methods and materials
- Monitor and ensure appropriate level of rigor is applied in GSI activity depending on business needs and the decision to be made
- Partner with NPP Marketing and R&D to ensure deep understanding of clinical development programs and identification of decision points and business questions that need to be addressed to inform them
- Brief multiple stakeholders, colleagues and managers so they can effectively communicate the assumptions and implications of data analyses and MR insights
- Contribute to the development of competitive intelligence KITs and KIQs, and integration of CI feedback into opportunity evaluations
- Provide input into the design of forecast models, and in the interpretation of revenue forecasts, and associated risks and opportunities, including sensitivity and/or alternate scenarios
- Represent GSI in cross-company projects with broad strategic or tactical objectives
- Support the implementation of functional excellence and standards across all GSI activities within the company. Help the company maintain pace with current industry best practices for quality business analysis
Who You Are:
- Degree level education preferably in science or equivalent experience. Post-graduate degree strongly preferred (MA, MS, MBA, PhD).
- 6-8 years of relevant competitive intelligence and commercial analytics experience.
- Broad experience in the key functional areas of market research including the ability to identify key business levers, to develop a robust market research plan to address critical needs, and to design and analyze primary market research.
- Strong strategic skills including ability to see the big picture, conceptual/out of the box thinking, proven senior management presence and exceptional communication skills are a must.
- Broad experience in other key functional areas of CI, analytics and forecasting including the ability to understand and identify key business levers
- Expert knowledge of classic industry secondary data/information sources.
- Understanding of marketing/commercial and key financial levers within the pharmaceutical environment a must.
- Global experience strongly preferred
- Expert level Powerpoint and Excel skills required to effectively showcase how market research results tell a story and inform decisions and to understand forecasting models and manipulate performance reporting tools
- Familiarity with clinical trial databases and services like clinicaltrials.gov, TrialTrove, Cortellis, etc. is strongly preferred
- Ability to lead a cross-functional discussion in an organized and tactful manner, systematically using supporting information and logic, by building and defending cogent arguments; ability to guide the group to a consensus of opinion
- Familiarity with key global market and technology trends in the pharmaceutical industry is required
- Experience with in-licensing and acquisitions, opportunity prioritization exercises and portfolio reviews is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior members within and/or across functional teams through superior analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Demonstrated competencies required in the following areas: collaboration, organization, written and verbal communication, accuracy, and personal initiative.
- Other requirements include concise and impactful written and verbal communications; first-hand experience working on and influencing multi-functional teams; and the ability to provide leadership across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to balance conflicting priorities.
- This position may require up to 20% travel.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.