A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
We have an opening for a talented scientist to join the Immuno-Oncology Translational Innovation Platform at EMD Serono, Billerica, MA. The successful candidate will join an innovative group to contribute to the development of histology biomarkers for novel therapeutics in cancer immunotherapy.
The position will be responsible for developing and implementing immunohistochemical assays for guiding preclinical biomarker discovery efforts. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, the successful candidate will be expected to interact with project teams and collaborators to create experimental plans, as well as prepare, report and present results.
- Build immunophenotyping capabilities for the preclinical biomarker team.
- Perform in situ histology procedures including: tissue dissection, routine histology, immunohistochemistry (IHC), in-situ hybridization (ISH), and image capture of fresh, frozen and paraffin-embedded tissues and cell lines.
- Develop histochemical assays using various modalities including engineered antibodies, antibody mimetics and nucleic acids.
- Perform image, capture, analysis and processing.
- Identify, develop, and optimize new methods to generate reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Independently execute designed experiment plans and interpret study observations
- Effectively record and report experiments
- Troubleshoot effectively and think proactively
- Actively interact and work closely with team members to support the development of innovative bioassays
- Work in a diverse team setting and collaborate effectively on complex projects
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 plus years or master’s degree in molecular biology, clinical pathology or related fields, and with of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- At least 5 years relevant laboratory experience in histopathology strongly preferred.
- Expertise in developing and validating IHC and ISH reagents and methodologies.
- Demonstrated expertise in histological techniques (cell- and tissue-based) including in situ hybridization (ISH), immunohistochemistry (IHC), immunofluorescence (IF), and microscopy.
- Knowledge of techniques and familiarity with instruments commonly used in histology labs including automated staining platforms and microscopy, image capture and digital analysis software strongly preferred.
- Experience with in vivo immune system-related mouse models is a plus.
- Background in tumor biology or cancer immunology
- Experience with flow cytometry and/or CyTOF is preferred.
- HT/L certification strongly preferred
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.