A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
EMD Serono, a top US specialty pharmaceutical company, is continuing to build a leading US oncology organization, to support our current PDL-1 immunoTHERAPY and to prepare for future indications.
The Oncology Territory Manager (OTM) will deliver on aggressive but realistic targets for revenue growth and profitability by executing brand objectives through innovative strategies, excellence in customer engagement and rigorous account planning. The OTM will be responsible for promoting Bavencio and its approved indications, launch of future Bavencio indications, Xalkori (a copromotion asset), and other potential products from the EMD Serono pipeline.
This individual will be a key member of a high performing team including Marketing, Managed Markets, Medical and their Pfizer co-promotion/alliance partner in order to manage sales at the territory level and serve as the primary liaison between customers and EMD Serono. This position focuses on building customer alliances, establishing and maintaining product market leadership and achieving short and long-term sales objectives by identifying customer needs and providing solutions to create a professional relationship between the customer and EMD Serono.
Territory: Kansas City, Oklahoma City
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Achieve territory sales goals and objectives by assisting in the development of brand strategies and developing a business plan that drives Company and Franchise objectives.
- Be a market expert by having deep market, customer, product and competitive insights in order to create and execute key account plans to achieve aggressive goals and objectives for continued growth.
- Maintain a superior level of product, market, reimbursement, formulary, managed care, customer and distribution knowledge to accomplish territory objectives including strengthening current loyalist positions and expanding and building new loyalists.
- Monitor and appropriately plan for changing local market conditions.
- Plan and implement effective professional and patient education oncology programs.
- Maintain an expert operating knowledge of all company policies and guidelines including but not limited to those addressing interactions with healthcare professionals, Compliance, Business Conduct and PhRMA. Ensure compliance with all Company, industry and government laws or guidelines regarding ethical standards
- Demonstrate strong critical analysis and planning skills in reviewing data, understanding trends, preparing and communicating applicable plans
- Manage the territory budget and accurately report budget activity to Area/Regional management.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the oncology medical community, with a high clinical approach focused on identifying needs and providing solutions.
- Plan and execute strategic territory and Key Account plans consistently, utilizing approved tactics
- Develop and maintain a collaborative approach with EMD Serono peers and teammates, such as Marketing, Sales, Medical Science Liaisons, Training, Managed Markets, and Medical Reimbursement Specialists as well as all applicable co-promote partners.
- Seek out, establish and maintain an excellent level of communication with regional Oncology management.
- Provide all necessary and requested field data on a timely basis.
- Actively participate in presentations and discussions during Area and/or Regional Meetings.
- Influence, guide and support peers in achievement of their individual territory goals.
- Actively demonstrate the highest level of professionalism, ethical behavior and integrity in all aspects of the OTM role.
- Maintain a professional demeanor consistent with EMD Serono pharmaceutical sales philosophy, EMD Serono values, protocols and guidelines.
- Maintain an excellent level of continuous-improvement, personal and professional growth to grow territory sales and accomplish territory objectives.
- Lead regional or national initiatives to improve processes, business functions or drive operational growth
- Maintain a high level of home office and regional interaction necessary to effectively seize external (i.e.: Sales) and internal (i.e.: process improvement) opportunities.
- Timely completion of administrative duties and responsibilities (ie. call reports, expense reports, compliance courses and communications).
- Demonstrate leadership with peer groups and management helping to propagate a single team approach to the business.
- Maintain a demeanor of self-awareness and accountability
- Willing to receive and provide feedback (verbal and/or written) when appropriate
Who you are:
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- A valid and active driver’s license is required for this position.
- English required. Other language skills may be considered a plus depending on location
- Minimum five plus of years’ experience in the pharmaceutical/ healthcare industry with demonstration of successful results.
- Professional oncology experience (3 plus years), and/or demonstrated participation with internal oncology training programs
- Experience with the co-promotion of product(s)
- Strong expertise in reimbursement and managed care knowledge
- Scientific or clinical background desirable.
- Experience selling a multi-product portfolio highly desired
- Experience in Oncology Sales is and specialty biologics markets highly desirable.
- Ability to display personal leadership and accountability amongst peers, direct manager and internal support partners
- Possesses and displays high level of emotional intelligence
- Launch experience desirable
- Deep understand of the oncology landscape and market place is highly desired
- Home Office/Headquarters experience is a plus
Competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, traits)
- Knowledge of managed care and reimbursement systems and pull through strategies highly desirable.
- Personal level of accountability and ownership of results
- Minimum of intermediate level computer skills (MS Office products) required.
- Ability to quickly grasp and implement business objectives and manage resource allocation
- Success record for driving and maintaining strong results
- Demonstration of ability to build and maintain relationships with external customers and internal partners
- Strong analytical skills to understand and adjust to trends and market dynamics
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as demonstrated by:
- Ability to work as a member of a team to accomplish goals.
- Ability to access and influence various functional areas and motivate groups to action
- Ability to translate medical information and complicated scientific and clinical disease states into succinct and impactful messages
- Ability to present to all levels of the organizations and to individuals and groups as well as respond succinctly and clearly to any questions
- Ability to continuously demonstrate company core values including transparency, courage and respect
- Self-motivated and energetic
- Adaptable and flexible with ability to lead and manage change
- Demonstrated ability to absorb, process and communicate complex product, disease and market place knowledge
- Results-oriented, with a proven track record of sales success
- Ability to plan and execute in efficient manner (i.e expense reporting, sales analytics reports and project work)
- Motivated by start-up environment. Ability to tolerate risk and deal with ambiguity
- Normal Office Duties
- Able to travel up to 50%-80%, may vary based on location and will include some overnights and some night and weekend attendance at meetings/ conferences includes travel by car or airplane
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.