A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your Role: The Director, New Product Planning (NPP) will drive Commercial strategies for early assets to ensure the development of innovative, differentiated products that meet unmet needs in Immuno-Oncology.
The rapid development of the EMDS pipeline may yield robust data in Phase I/II in high, unmet-need patient populations which will inform late stage development; thus, there is an urgency for strong and robust Commercial input to maximize the potential of the oncology portfolio. Accordingly, the core responsibilities associated with Director role are to (1) ensure Commercial leadership for early assets, (2) ensure strategic and tactical involvement in pipeline development decisions and program support and (3) strengthen and expand the NPP partnership with Business Development (BD).
- Ensure Leadership for Early Asset Strategies
- In collaboration with R&D, lead and drive the development of clear, aligned strategies consistent with the Immuno-Oncology GBF (Global Business Franchise) Strategy for all early-to-later stage assets in preparation for go/no-go decisions by Senior Leadership and provide for every decision-making committee meeting a Commercial Assessment and/or Commercial Viewpoint Summary to help guide Senior Leadership decisions
- Lead initiatives to continually assess the commercial values, competitive landscapes and market differentiations (incorporating KOL advice) of the early assets and develop and communicate Commercial’s priorities for resource allocation and decision making
- Pro-actively identify potential BD opportunities, challenges, access issues, LCM options and risks in order to maximize the value of the early asset portfolio
- Drive the partnerships and processes with key stakeholders to define, develop, execute and communicate business-critical early asset strategic initiatives as identified by the Immuno-Oncology GBF
- In collaboration with cross-functional Oncology teams develop early asset strategies and ensure alignment on visions, objectives and strategies across Brand and Pipeline programs
- Build strong relationships and collaborations with R&D, Medical Affairs, Portfolio Management, Clinical, Regulatory, Finance and other key functions and teams
- Ensure Strategic and Tactical Involvement in Early Asset Development Decisions and Program Support
- Establish the early asset team as a partner with R&D and Clinical in designing pre-clinical and clinical studies and trials and in making differentiation-impacting decisions including determining clinical hurdles, go/no go criteria, endpoints, clinically meaningful comparators, labeling and launch timings
- Develop strategic and tactical templates/playbooks that describes progression of activities including, early positioning, segmentation, competitive landscapes, patient journeys, KOL mapping, INNs and brand naming
- Drive Commercial input for portfolio reviews and Commercial Assessments
- Ensure that up-to-date, aligned and approved TPVPs (Target Product Value Profiles) and Commercial Assessments are uploaded and maintained on the Portfolio Management Platform
- Develop and maintain early asset dashboards for monthly communications to Senior Leadership on visions, strategies, opportunities, challenges, risks and tactical activities for the early asset programs
- Strengthen and Expand the Partnership with BD (Business Development)
- Become a strong partner with BD to provide timely and robust Commercial input and analyses to BD opportunities including Commercial Assessments, due diligence support, business cases and commercial recommendations
- Provide leadership in identifying, assessing and prioritizing opportunities identified by the BD Team consistent with Immuno-Oncology GBF strategy and facilitate rapid decisions to go no/go to due diligence and/or deal negotiations
Who You Are:
- Degrees / advanced degree(s) in life sciences required; MBA preferred but not required
- Relevant pharmaceutical marketing experience; oncology experience a plus
- Leadership Experience
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Previous global launch and/or regional launch experience preferred
- Outstanding relationship-building and partnering skills and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams to drive commercial input on development programs
- As a key strategic link between scientists and business leaders, must have a strong understanding of drug development as well as highly effective analytical, extrapolative thinking and influencing skills
- Able to work effectively in a highly complex matrix environment, with a proven ability to influence without formal authority and achieve results through people
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical business and development space
- Strong understanding of the future direction of oncology with respect to diagnostic development with biomarkers and market access trends worldwide
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires domestic and international travel up to 20% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.