A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The primary focus for this position is supporting the Gene Editing and Novel Modalities (GENM) Promise Venture in the Applied Business Unit globally, including both the commercial area and product/technology portfolio. A secondary, but important focus, is supporting the general Applied commercial teams in N. America in two primary market segments – diagnostics and industrial/testing. Working with the commercial team you will draft and negotiate customer contract manufacturing, service and supply agreements for products and services utilizing our proprietary, cutting-edge gene editing technologies. You will work with product/technology management, business development and R&D in drafting and negotiating product purchase, joint development, collaboration, consortium and licensing agreements with customers, suppliers, partners and other third parties. The position includes advising and training senior management and sales teams on legal risk areas as well as on commercial and contract processes and managing related litigation and other claims. You will participate on the leadership team for GENM and on related strategic project teams, as well collaborate as necessary with Patents and Country Lawyer colleagues and engage and oversee external counsel as needed. The position will be based in either St. Louis, MO or Burlington, MA.
Legal business partner primarily focused on global support to Gene Editing and Novel Modalities (GENM) Promise Venture in Applied Business Unit;
- Management (including senior management)
- Clients from Life Science business
- Group Functions
- Legal and Compliance colleagues globally
- Law firm management
- Representing legal department in contract negotiation with external contract partners
- Communicating with authorities on legal matters
- Minimum 6 years law firm and/or in-house experience with focus on international commercial transactions; experience with international law firm and multinational corporation preferred
- Experience in life science industry preferred
- Experience in technology licensing preferred
- Experience working abroad a plus
Job specific Competencies & Skills
- Fluent in English; ability in German and other European language(s) a plus
- Experience in the areas of commercial and business law, antitrust and competition law, corporate governance and compliance matters
- Experience in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements including supply agreements, distribution agreements and various types of R&D agreements including technology licensing agreements
- General understanding of business and commercial affairs in a global environment
- Strong communication skills including feeling comfortable to directly advise senior management and ability to translate complex legal backgrounds into summaries which are easily understandable by non-lawyers
- Ability to take clients’ concerns into account in how best to pursue legal strategies; ability to provide effective and pragmatic solutions for complex legal projects and situations
- Team player who is comfortable to work in international and cross-functional teams and to assume responsibility; proactive working style and willingness to contribute by directly handling all types of legal projects
- Ability to balance numerous matters while prioritizing same on a day-to-day basis as events require
- Ability to work proactively and independently
Graduate degree in law (J.D.) and admission to practice law in at least one State in the United States
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.