A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
As a member of the US Government & Public Affairs team (GPA), the Senior Director of Federal Government Affairs drives EMD Serono’s policy and political priorities in the federal government realm by:
- Building and leveraging relationships with Congress and other stakeholders influential in shaping the federal policy and political environment.
- Supporting EMD Serono leadership engagement with federal government officials and other relevant stakeholders.
- Monitoring and apprising the company of relevant external developments and trends in the federal political environment.
- VP, US Healthcare Government & Public Affairs;
- Senior global and US corporate leadership
- Commercial franchise teams (Oncology, Neurology, Fertility)
- GPA team members
- Global GPA & Corporate Affairs
- Global Regulatory & Scientific Policy team members
- Communications team members
- Medical Affairs team members
- Managed Markets team members
- Regulatory Affairs team members
- Legal & Compliance team members
- Research and Development team members
- Congressional Members and Staff
- Executive branch officials
- Trade associations
- Patient and physician stakeholder groups
- Industry colleagues
- PR agencies
- Research firms
- Quasi-governmental policy setting organizations
- Biopharmaceutical industry and policy thought leaders
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute an annual strategic plan to advance the company’s policy and political objectives in the federal government realm.
- Serve as primary day-to-day liaison with federal government officials and political stakeholders.
- Serve as primary company representative for trade association workstreams relating to federal government affairs.
- Monitor and apprise internal teams of developments in the federal realm with potential impact for EMD Serono business.
- Maintain network of relationships in the federal healthcare political community.
- Cultivate and analyze intelligence relating to risks and opportunities in the external environment and advise internal teams accordingly.
- Support EMS Serono senior leadership in trade association participation and other external engagements, including preparation of briefing documents.
- Develop and execute an annual external engagement plan to build relationships between federal government officials and EMD Serono senior leadership.
- Lead management of the EMD Serono Political Action Committee, including initiatives to drive membership and increase awareness.
- Help develop and execute EMD Serono PAC strategy
- Support above-brand corporate campaigns
- Propose and manage an annual budget to advance federal government affairs priorities.
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s in health policy, government, law, or similar degree preferred.
- English mandatory, other languages an asset
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 12+ years in federal government affairs roles, healthcare experience preferred
- Strong understanding of federal legislative process for healthcare policy and interplay with executive branch policymaking.
- Strong understanding of political context in which the pharmaceutical industry operates.
- Experience leading or working with industry partners, patient groups, and physician specialty societies to advance common goals in the federal realm.
- Strong understanding of federal policy areas impacting the pharmaceutical industry, including Medicare Parts B and D, the Affordable Care Act coverage expansion, 340B, Medicaid, the Prescription Drug User Fee Act and other FDA-related legislative initiatives.
- Strong network of relationships in Congress, the executive branch, key industry trade associations including PhRMA and BIO, and other stakeholders that shape the federal political and policy environment.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills.
- Strategic thinking.
- Ability to develop and execute tactical plans to advance policy & commercial goals.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, matrixed environment and to be decisive and self-motivated.
- Ability to drive business results through strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, while working cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders in multiple functional areas to drive successful project implementation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with demonstrated ability to distill and translate complex concepts and policies into actionable information for business partners.
- Ability to present to small and large groups at all levels of the organization and deal with unexpected questions and challenges while presenting.
- Ability to collaborate and interact effectively with internal senior executives, industry representatives, government officials, local association executives and academics.
- Understanding of and experience with government policymaking processes, especially those relating to the range of payment policies administered by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Medicare, Medicaid, ACA, etc.)
- Ability to meet challenges consistently and confidently with energy and drive.
- Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic.
- Fosters mutual trust and respect.
- Ability to develop and foster new and creative ideas.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.