A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who We Are: EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the brand has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in neurology, fertility and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
The Associate Director of US Medical Training (Oncology) is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of a fully-integrated scientific and professional development training curriculum for US Medical, with a special focus on Oncology Field Medical (Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) and Health Economic and Outcomes Research (HEOR) field staff) for both internal and external needs. Main responsibilities include the management of a comprehensive scientific and technical training curriculum, the development and approvals of training materials, management of a training budget, and compliant execution of training programs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & STRATEGIC IMPACT
- Manages the development and implementation of an effective, fully-integrated scientific and professional development training curriculum for US Medical, with a special focus on Oncology Field Medical functions, in support of US Medical Oncology plans in order to drive effective scientific exchange with healthcare providers, payers and customers generally.
- Delivers annual training plans that are aligned with and leverage global training plans and other global and local resources and that leverage adult learning, experiential learning and instructional design principles; liaise closely with Therapeutic Area heads, Field Medical Management and Field Medical staff to understand unmet educational and business needs to be address via the annual training plan.
- Collaborate with external healthcare providers, advocacy, consultants and/or other advisors to build and deliver training programs; ensure all training materials are approved via the appropriate review channel.
- Provides training to key internal stakeholders to build knowledge, awareness and expertise on new data and scientific information on a consistent basis, in order to drive effective scientific exchange with external healthcare providers, payers and customers generally. Provides consultative support to Medical and Commercial (e.g. Marketing) functions on an ad hoc basis.
- Deliver mechanisms to track training program effectiveness (e.g. program surveys, Field Medical ride-alongs); deliver program updates and metrics analyses to business management on a regular basis.
- Maintain a scientific repository of product and therapeutic area materials used for training purposes that is easily accessible to field-based staff; leverage the Global Learning Management System to document training events and record training tests, surveys or other information in an auditable manner.
- Contribute to US Medical strategic initiatives that support the advancement of science and medicine underlying our products, as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned
SCOPE OF BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provides leadership to outsourced vendors to ensure that the execution of medical training plans are consistent with corporate and department objectives, and within budget.
- Forecasts and secures resources (financial and personnel) – with business case preparation, as appropriate
- Ensures all Medical Training plans are aligned with Global plans; builds strong relationships with Global counterparts in assigned TAs to ensure strong partnership and ability to influence where necessary to support US needs; effectively communicate roles and responsibilities to minimize overlapping Global/US efforts and maximize overall synergy.
- Lead cross-functional teams as assigned.
- Conducts business in accordance with EMD Serono corporate values.
Who you are:
- Advanced scientific degree (Ph.D., PharmD, MD) strongly preferred (Masters degree or other scientific or clinical degrees considered) with pharmaceutical industry experience (required) and Field Medical experience (strongly preferred).
- 8-10 years of prior experience working within the pharmaceutical industry or related fields or jobs with a relevant medical/scientific focus.
- Scientific and/or clinical experience within Oncology, Immunology or Immuno-oncology strongly preferred
ADA REQUIREMENTS (mandatory for US employees)
- Normal and routine office duties.
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 30% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.