A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The CCO, North America will help to ensure that EMD Serono and Merck KGaA complies with the highest legal and ethical standards in all of its business activities. The successful candidate will support the implementation of the Company’s Global Compliance Program by - among others - creating, adapting and implementing global policies and procedures, providing training, monitoring and identifying potential risks, proposing measures to address them and investigating potential wrongdoings until its resolution. S/he will also advise the business and functional areas in their daily activities maintaining EMD Serono and Merck KGaA’s ethical standards and will be a key contributor to the U.S. and Canadian Leadership Team.
Key Compliance Advisor
- Actively support the business and functional areas in providing advice on compliance related matters accompanying the Company’s lifecycle
- Actively support the launch of innovative products as well as initiatives within the Company’s mature product portfolio
- Although the role will cover responsibilities for North America, given the global nature of the organization and compliance function, the role will coordinate advice with global peers and the Global Compliance Officer of Healthcare based in Germany as well as provide active support to North American-based colleagues
- Participate in the North American Leadership Team, adding value as a business advisor
- Lead the Compliance Committee by designing the agenda according to Company needs and current relevant topics, highlighting the Company’s efforts within its Global Compliance Program and identifying risk areas and how to address and manage them
Policies & Procedures and Training
- Design, adapt and implement standards of compliance and ethical conduct through EMD Serono and Merck KGaA’s Code of Conduct and promote compliance throughout the organization
- Actively support the global organization in the implementation of global compliance initiatives such as a governance and transparency system, an improved third-party due diligence process and new investigation procedures
- According to North American needs, develop SOPs, guidance and similar documents according to local laws and regulations as well as ethical standards
- Maintain a high level of company awareness of these standards through continuous training, communication programs, and initiatives to ensure that all employees have the ability to seek assistance, make suggestions, raise concerns and identify potential issues regarding compliance
Monitoring and Investigations
- Support the implementation of the global monitoring function and initiatives, as well as further develop the local monitoring function
- Lead and manage regional investigations according to the global process, report findings and remediate potential wrongdoings and risk areas
- Support Group Internal Audit when performing its activities on site and address any action agreed within the IA plan
This role will support the North American General Manager who is in parallel responsible for the Global Neurology & Immunology, and Oncology Franchises. Therefore, the candidate will have the opportunity to not only oversee North American activities, but also work on global compliance strategy related to Merck KGaA’s key franchises in addition to planned product launches
10 Plus years experience required in Compliance with an advanced degree. MBA - JD
Industry experience is preferred
Ability to demonstrate a global mindset and interact with all levels of the organization.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.