A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Head, N&I Patient Support Services is responsible for designing, implementing, and overseeing a complex patient support program (PSP) consisting of a hybrid hub / patient support center (i.e., MS LifeLines) that provides patient-focused reimbursement and clinical support programs for EMD Serono’s N&I products in the U.S. The goal of these efforts is to optimize patient outcomes by enabling quality access and providing individualized service tailored to patients’ needs. This individual, who is a senior member of the N&I leadership team, is responsible for managing external partners and collaborating with internal stakeholders to deliver innovative, patient-focused services for N&I products as well as managing a program budget of approximately $50M. This individual is also responsible for (1) evolving services to meet patients’ needs and to ensure that operations remain fully compliant with all relevant laws, regulations, and corporate policies and (2) leveraging program data with the support of internal and external data scientists to improve the patient experience and extract critical insights on patient and customer needs for use in N&I initiatives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for overall strategy development, direction, measurement, execution, and accountability of the PSP for N&I products (i.e., an approved specialty injectable for MS and an oral MS agent pending approval).
- Manage and oversee patient access and nursing operations and support services for N&I products. The PSP includes Patient Solutions, Reimbursement, Support Center Nursing, Field Reimbursement, Field Nursing, and other related services and programs.
- Responsible for defining the optimal structure, job descriptions, budget, and number of personnel for the PSP.
- Design and oversee the PSP’s services and program, including level of nursing support, criteria for free goods, copay assistance, and access support services.
- Analyze the N&I market in terms of coverage, reimbursement, and access issues, both existing and emerging payer policies, formulary listings, competitive landscape, trends, pricing, contracting strategies, and potential barriers to providers and patient access. Monitor the evolution of the government’s impact to PSP services and adapt to conform with guidelines.
- In partnership with internal and external data scientists, engage with Marketing, Business Technologies, Business Excellence to use big data analytics and other digital tools to drive PSP effectiveness, efficiency, and measurement and to optimize the customer and patient experience.
- Partner cross-functionally to foster the creation of patient access capabilities for products that are in development as well as launched products to remain relevant in a rapidly growing disease state.
- Work closely with government affairs, legal, and compliance teams to understand the legislative, policy, legal, and government oversight environment for both current and future impact on current and future products but also to understand the changes that may impact PSPs.
- Work directly with key members of the training team along with members of PSP’s leadership team to develop, revise, training for all new hires, ongoing existing and field nursing and reimbursement.
- Work closely with specialty pharmacies to ensure proper access to our patients by monitoring patient enrollment within the PSP’s services and programs.
- Actively lead PSP team through launch of potential new products for the N&I team acting as expert in this field.
- Ensure launch readiness of the PSP for all N&I products.
- Work with Business Excellence team to identify, create analytics to measure, trend and create useful strategies to help drive PSP objectives.
- Responsible for managing the budget of the N&I PSP.
- Responsible for the oversight and general management of the N&I PSP team, including development and ongoing management of job descriptions, goal and objective setting for each employee, performance appraisals, coaching, and corrective action when necessary or required.
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of all company policies related to the N&I PSP.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Fluent English language skills (required).
- 10-12 (or more) years of experience in developing and managing key biopharmaceutical PSP services either directly with a manufacturer or as an outsourced vendor to manufacturers (required).
- 7-8 (or more) years of experience in reimbursement, market access, or advocacy in the biopharmaceutical industry with a detailed understanding of how government programs and commercial payers cover and reimburse for biopharmaceutical products across all relevant settings of care (required).
- Exceptional knowledge of all legal, regulatory, and compliance requirements for PSPs and general understanding of other key legal and compliance issues for the biopharmaceutical industry (required).
- Recent go-to-market experience in launching new products (required).
- Previous 1st line people management experience required and 2nd line leadership experience desired.
- Demonstrated leadership in the industry as an expert in PSPs with strong experience with special pharmacy products (required).
- Documented ability to audit PSP program performance to identify potential gaps and opportunities for program improvement (required).
- Advanced knowledge of CRM technology relevant to PSPs and the ability to leverage big data in partnership with internal and external data scientists (preferred).
- Detailed knowledge of neurology products, including MS therapies (preferred).
- Ability for domestic and international travel (approximately 20% of time).
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.