A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who we are:
EMD Serono is a leading North American biopharmaceutical company exclusively focused on specialty care for more than 40 years. The North American healthcare business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, integrates cutting-edge science, innovative products and devices, as well as industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono’s commerical business has a deep expertise in neurology and immunology, fertility and endocrinology, and a strong pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology, immunology and autoimmune disesase. EMD Serono is pursuing activities in selected indications for highly specialized therapeutic areas mainly treated by specialists. In addition to Phase I products focused on oncology, immuno-oncology and autoimmune disease, the pipeline includes products that benefit patients who suffer from the following cancers: gastric, ovarian, urothelial, renal cell, head and neck tumors, hepatocellular, as well as multiple sclerosis, chronic plaque psoriasis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, systems lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis with interstitial lung disease, and osteoarthritis.
The Senior Director, Fertility & Endocrinology Marketing is member of the US Fertility & Endocrinology Therapeutic Area leadership team, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Fertility & Endocrinology and including oversight of the following marketed and non-promoted brands:
- GONAL-f® (recombinant follitropin alfa for injection) prescribed to supplement or replace naturally occurring FSH, an essential hormone to treat infertility.
- Serostim® indicated for the treatment of HIV patients with wasting or cachexia to increase lean body mass and body weight, and improve physical endurance.
- Saizen® (somatropin for injection) is indicated for the treatment of growth hormone deficiency (GHD) in children and adults.
As well as, EMD Serono’s broader Fertility portfolio (Cetrotide and Ovidrel) and an emerging fertility technology business portfolio, including an innovative suite of medical devices, software and services geared toward the IVF lab.
The Senior Director of Fertility and Endocrinology Marketing will provide leadership to the US Fert/Endo marketing team specifically including two promoted brands: GONAL-f® (recombinant follitropin alfa for injection) prescribed to supplement or replace naturally occurring FSH, an essential hormone to treat infertility; and Serostim® indicated for the treatment of HIV patients with wasting or cachexia to increase lean body mass and body weight, and improve physical endurance. The Senior Director will also support non-promoted brands such as Sizen® (somatropin for injection) is indicated for the treatment of growth hormone deficiency (GHD) in children and adults, the broader Fertility portfolio (Cetrotide and Ovidrel) and an emerging fertility technology business portfolio, including an innovative suite of medical devices, software and services geared toward the IVF lab. The Senior Director will provide strong leadership, excellent judgment, daily active participation and engagement to identify/assess new opportunities, maximize business results, work collaboratively with cross-functional U.S. and Global teams, and deliver on business objectives for the Fert/Endo portfolio. Role will be a key member of the Fert/Endo Leadership Team and will report directly to the SVP of Fertility/Endocrinology.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Lead, develop and implement annual marketing brand plans, identifying clear customer insights, objectives, strategies, tactics, and investment required to drive category leadership and competitive differentiation.
- Foster innovation in sales and marketing approaches and practices, identifying national and regional opportunities and barriers to ensure success.
- Provide leadership and focus to drive outstanding business results and ensure key objectives related to sales, efficiency and profitability are met/exceeded
- Work in close collaboration with sales management to ensure successful implementation of POA strategies, programs, tools, and services with consistent marketing messages
- Collaborate with MACS teams on product and customer strategies to support brand value propositions and secure market access/formulary acceptance of products
- Provide strategic oversight for the patient support services function (call center hubs) and ensure integration between patient services and overall brand strategies
- Collaborate with global franchise counterparts to ensure appropriate US input and influence on global strategy and objectives
- Provide strategic direction and input for brand plan and long range plan development, ongoing market analysis, forecasting, business cases to support life cycle management (LCM), and new product commercial assessment as needed. Participate in business development due diligence and commercial assessment activities for the US Market.
- Provide strategic marketing input and tactical support for launch of new Fertility Technologies business
- Develop and deliver clear and compelling brand narrative in the form of effective communications and presentations to key stakeholders, including US and Global leadership
- Work closely with legal and regulatory to ensure compliance policies are effectively integrated into sales and marketing programs and materials
- Establish and maintain appropriate relationships with key opinion leaders, specialty pharmacy network, professional associations and advocacy groups
- Manage the promotional budget and interface with business unit controller.
- Develop and execute marketing projects with agency partners from concept through implementation. This includes development of marketing tools, programs, and services that fulfill brand strategies.
- Conduct field visits regularly to evaluate effectiveness of marketing programs, tools and services
- Evaluate on an ongoing basis, core strategies, programs and results of competitors
- Partner with designated customer associations, both professional and consumer to ensure strong knowledge of their goals and vice versa
- Manage all market, advertising, and promotional programs within corporate and FDA regulatory guidelines and approved budgets
- Identify and develop top talent: define clear objectives, allocate resources, monitor activities, provide development opportunities, conduct ongoing performance reviews and provide
Who you are:
- BA/BS required
- MBA or advanced degree strongly preferred
- Requires a minimum of 12 – 15 years’ experience in marketing, sales and operational leadership roles in pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- Experience in relevant specialty therapeutic area a plus (Fertility, Endocrinology, HIV, Women’s Health)
- Understanding of the US biotech specialty space with demonstrated ability to learn and master complex business environments
- Solid business acumen, deep customer insights and grasp of complex analytics required
- Current understanding of pharmaceutical and promotional compliance guidelines and regulations required
- Previous pharmaceutical sales leadership experience a plus
- Minimum of 5+ years managing, leading and developing people required with a proven track record of building high performing teams that consistently drive results
- Strategic ability to define a clear path in a complex environment, utilizing strong analytical skills to navigate through complex challenges, overcoming areas of ambiguity and deliver well thought out business solutions to seize opportunities for business growth
- Ability to demonstrative creative and innovative strategies for business development and Life Cycle Management of current Fert/Endo brands
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with field-based teams a must
- Motivated by results, urgency and personal commitment. Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic. Fosters mutual trust and respect.
- Ability to access and influence various functional areas and motivate groups to action
- Ability to demonstrative creative and innovative strategies for business success
- Ability to access and influence various functional areas and motivate groups to action
- Ability to remain focused and purposeful in the presence of shifting priorities and strategies and provide a timely response to business and customer needs
- Strong communication skills and an ability to translate complex information into succinct and impactful messages
- Ability to present to all levels of the organizations to individuals and groups as well as respond succinctly and clearly to any questions and challenges while presenting
- Collaborative work style and familiarity with core operating functions (sales, marketing, regulatory, legal, medical, global marketing and co-promotion partners)
- Ability to work in a high functioning, fast-paced, global business environment
- Purposeful: capturing the meaning of our work at EMD Serono, following our mission to improve people’s lives and adhere to ethical behavior
- Future-Oriented: continuously seeking best-practice solutions and embracing opportunities of new technologies to shape the future of our business
- Innovative: continuously experimenting and driving change initiatives
- Results Driven: setting oneself and others stretch performance targets, as well as establishing a feedback culture and taking responsibility
- Collaborative: working together across departments and geographies, encouraging team-work that respects diverse backgrounds and cultural differences
- Empowering: unfolding potential in self and others by providing guidance, driving personal development, and sharing enthusiasm
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 50% of time
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.