A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Title: Regional PM (Regional Development Project Manager)
Reporting to: Head of Strategy & Business Operations Japan
- Actively manage one or more regional drug development project not only for Japan but also major Asian markets.
- Direct the regional cross-functional project team leveraging project management and drug development expertise and support regional project team members in fulfilling their tasks efficiently.
- Ensure the compliance of the project team with applicable legal and regulatory requirements on a regional level.
- Ensure proper identification and management of project risks and report them to the respective global project teams and regional senior management.
- Evaluate alternative regional development scenarios (comprising costs, timelines, risks, and project valuation of) before approval of by the respective governance body.
- Establish and maintain a project plan for the regional activities that depicts the activities in line with the approved regional development strategy.
- Support global project teams in presenting the plan and the project status to the global governance body for approval whenever required by the committee or the relevant Merck Serono governance rules.
- Lead an efficient information flow within the regional cross-functional project team, schedule regional project team meetings and develop meeting agendas.
- Lead the regional project team through the preparation of contributions for key project documents.
- Provide regional input in the project valuation process with portfolio management as part of the company’s strategic planning process.
- Lead regional project team meetings dealing with the execution of the project strategy, take minutes and ensure follow-up of action items from the minutes. Prepare presentations as needed.
- Represent regional topics at global Project Team Meetings and obtain global team feedback and approval.
- In alignment with the program lead and global project manager, manage the regional internal (top management) and external (investors, scientific community) project reporting and communication.
- Provide the program lead with regional input in the definition of the program strategy, stakeholder management and overall program leadership topics.
- Ensure seamless transition of regional project(s) to the LCM phase at completion of development phase.
- Manage the regional cross-functional project budget
- Responsible for a cost-effective approach to all development plan activities.
< For Regional Development Project Manager>
- The regional Development Project Manager is responsible for the operational conduct of one or more drug development projects on a regional level.
- The regional Development Project Manager leads the respective regional cross-functional project teams through the execution of the project strategy and interacts closely with the respective program lead who is responsible for the strategic direction and overall program leadership.
- The regional Development Project Manager is the key contact on the regional project level both for internal partners as well as, in the case of co-development projects, for the respective counterparts in the other company.
- The regional Development Project Manager is a member of the respective functional sub-teams of the regional cross-functional project teams and supports and directs the sub-team leads to achieve timely completion of their respective work packages.
- The regional Development Project Manager is responsible for the budget and overall timelines and deliverables of the respective regional drug development project.
- The regional Development Project Manager ensures appropriate risk management and issue resolution on the regional project level.
- The regional Development Project Manager is responsible for timely reporting of the regional project status to the global project manager.
- The regional Development Project Manager provides the project management expertise and leadership to enable efficient development of new drugs with the respective regional project teams and in line with regional industry benchmark data for timelines, costs and quality.
- The regional Development Project Manager provides input from a regional perspective into the improvement of project management principles within GDM and Merck Serono.
- The regional Development Project Manager provides key leanings and best practices from the regional project teams into the organization to increase efficiency of drug development.
SCOPE OF PEOPLE RESPONSIBILITY
- Managing an interdisciplinary regional project team without direct reporting lines
- Together with program lead responsible for project objectives setting and performance review of team members (providing input into the HR performance management process for the team members)
- Global Program Lead
- Global Program Team
- Global project team
- All regional R&D, Medical and Commercial functions in Asia
- Global development functions required for the regional activities
- Global and local R&D controlling
- Partner Companies in co-development projects
- External consultants for the respective projects
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline (Ph.D. is a plus) and/or in an economic discipline with significant previous experience in the life sciences.
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skill in English
- 5 years of experience in R&D and/or drug development in the pharmaceutical industry. Project management certification by a recognized project management organization (e.g. PMI, IPMA) is a plus.
- Previous working experience in cross-functional and international teams, ideally in multinational drug development teams.
- Cross-functional knowledge of the Drug Development Process and Drug Development Regulations.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in project management, spreadsheet and database management software is desirable.
- Good understanding of finance and accounting principles in an industrial setting.
- Experience in financial valuations of projects, risk management, decision making, and scenario thinking.
JOB-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong leadership skills
- Good project management skills
- Strong scientific knowledge of drug development
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Strategic thinking skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong communication and influence management skills
- Facilitation skills
What we offer: At our company, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!