A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 50,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
The Legal Team in Japan ensures that the Japanese affiliates of the group operate in compliance with local laws, regulations and internal guidelines. You will fulfill the duties of a local legal counsel and be part of a small legal team providing proactive and strategic legal advice to the local management, the business as well as group functions (e.g. HR and Procurement). As local legal business partners the legal department assists the Performance Materials as well as the Live Science Business. You will be part of company`s global legal and compliance team and network and report to the Head of Legal, Japan.
Who you are:
- Qualified to practice law in Japan as a lawyer (Bengoshi: 弁護士); additional foreign qualification, education and postgraduate degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of law firm and/or in-house experience with commercial and business affairs including international commercial transactions as focus areas.
- Experience providing legal advice to the chemicals and/or life science industries is preferred; working experience abroad is a plus.
- Experience in relevant business laws, including commercial, fair trade and competition, intellectual property, labor law as well as corporate governance and dispute resolution.
- Strong presentation, communication and collaboration skills, including feeling comfortable to directly advise management and ability to translate complex legal backgrounds into summaries which are easily understandable by non-lawyers.
- Ability to take clients' concerns into account in how best to pursue legal strategies. Ability to provide effective and simple solutions for complex legal projects and situations.
- Team player who is comfortable to work in international and cross-functional teams and to assume responsibility. Proactive working style and willingness to contribute by directly handling all types of legal projects.
- Ability to balance numerous matters while prioritizing same on a day-to-day basis as events require.
What will you do:
- Assist management team, business partners and group functions in all legal matters, including contract negotiation, litigation/dispute resolution, crisis management, corporate matters and compliance.
- Participate in business/leadership meetings; identify legal risks and proactively provide strategic advice as legal business partner to find pragmatic legal solutions.
- Represent the legal department in negotiations with external contract parties as well as authorities.
- Ensure that the governance structure and systems are appropriate and corporate documentation (board/shareholder resolutions, amendments, signing authorities) is well maintained and recorded.
- Take responsibility for litigation/government investigation management and cost-efficient management of external counsel
- Respect and ensure compliance with legal, regulatory and company guidelines.
- Ensure sufficient training of legal framework and policies in cooperation with Compliance.
- Manage and maintain legal documents and databases.
What we offer: At our company, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!