A career is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Within our Discovery Development Technologies department, we are currently looking for a Director (all genders) of Medicinal Chemistry for our Darmstadt site. In this position you will lead, coach, and mentor a department of approximately 40-45 medicinal chemists (all genders). You will be responsible for setting the departmental objectives, defining roles and responsibilities within the department, project resource allocation and assigning tasks. You are responsible for recruitment and approval for new hires and working closely with the worker’s council. You will be responsible for maintaining the strong scientific background of the department, with a focus on driving medicinal chemistry project teams to reach project objectives with strong alignment across stakeholder and functions is also expected.
You will be accountable for the professional development of the department and promoting development opportunities, such as rotational assignments in neighboring functions.
You are responsible for the local implementation of the Global Medicinal Chemistry strategy and driving a department culture that is in alignment with our global Medicinal Chemistry department. You will foster a differentiated performance culture, and ensure the enablement and empowerment of experts and project leaders within our matrix driven environment.
Who you are:
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry with demonstrated drug discovery acumen
- 10+ years of Medicinal Chemistry experience in the Pharmaceutical or Biotech industry, with diversity of experience (large pharma, biotech) a plus
- Strong scientific background, with industry experience of driving medicinal chemistry innovation and projects to successful completion; ie, clinical candidate nomination
- Leadership experience successfully leading project teams and/or groups
- Preferentially with experience outside of Discovery Development Technologies and with experience driving Medicinal Chemistry projects to clinical candidate
- Excellent communication skills in English and German
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at