A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
This position will be responsible for all or part of the secondary data analytics, primary global market research, competitive intelligence, and business case development that strategically inform key business decisions for the company’s growing pipeline of Oncology products. Specific responsibilities include assessing and guiding secondary data needs, designing and executing primary market research, coordinating competitive intelligence requirements, and actively contributing to strategic discussions to optimize pipeline opportunities. He or she will deploy methodologies and advanced analytic tools and capabilities which reflect best practices, and work closely with colleagues on a global, regional and national level.
Who you are:
- Reports to and partners with the head of Oncology Global Strategic Insights (GSI Senior Insights Lead) to ensure internal business partner expectations are met or exceeded
- Design primary market research, both qualitative and quantitative, to support business decisions for pre-launch Oncology assets
- Develop, execute, and maintain market research/project plans and budgets; MR will cover key global markets including the G7 and occasionally BRIC markets
- Contribute to the development of competitive intelligence KITs and KIQs, and integration of CI feedback into opportunity evaluations
- Facilitate cross-functional input into the design and population of forecast models, and in the interpretation of revenue forecasts, and associated risks and opportunities, including sensitivity and/or alternate scenarios
- Analyze, integrate and interpret results from CI, secondary and primary market research, and prepare meaningful, timely reports and presentations for brand teams and senior management, and ensure information is communicated clearly and effectively to all key stakeholders (global, regional and country levels).Brief multiple stakeholders, colleagues and managers so they can effectively communicate the assumptions and implications of data analyses and MR insights
- Identify, evaluate and help purchase global secondary data reports and databases that support the oncology pipeline; recommend appropriate uses of each resource
- Monitor and ensure appropriate level of rigor is applied in GSI activity depending on business needs and the decision to be made
- Ensure compliance with internal process and policies regarding the development and approval of market research methods and materials
- Represent GSI in cross-company projects with broad strategic or tactical objectives
Support the implementation of functional excellence and standards across all GSI activities within the company. Help the company maintain pace with current industry best practices for quality business analysis
- Degree level education preferably in science or equivalent experience. Post-graduate degree strongly preferred (MA, MS, MBA, PhD).
- 6-8 years of relevant data analytics, market research and business intelligence experience.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong familiarity with healthcare industry and oncology trends
- Requires broad experience in the key functional areas of market research including the ability to identify key business levers, to develop a robust market research plan to address critical needs, and to design and analyze primary market research
- Familiarity with clinical trial databases and services like clinicaltrials.gov, TrialTrove, Cortellis, etc. is strongly preferred
- Experience developing Key Intelligence Topics and Key Intelligent Questions to provide direction to CI vendors, and experience coordinating congress coverage from the intelligence perspective preferred
- Knowledge of the global oncology secondary data sources (such as IMS, Decision Resources) is ideal; familiarity with syndicated databases like Intrinsiq, Ipsos, Kantar Health CancerMetrics and IMS OncoAnalyzer is preferred
- Strong strategic skills including ability to see the big picture, conceptual/out of the box thinking, proven senior management presence and exceptional communication skills are a must.
- Ability to lead a cross-functional discussion in an organized and tactful manner, systematically using supporting information and logic, by building and defending cogent arguments; ability to guide the group to a consensus of opinion
- Familiarity with key global market and technology trends in the pharmaceutical industry is required
- Strong Powerpoint and Excel skills required to effectively communicate strategic insights, tell a story and inform decisions
- Experience with in-licensing and acquisitions, opportunity prioritization exercises and portfolio reviews is a plus
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Concise and impactful written and verbal communications
- Ability to organize and manage workload, good prioritization skills; ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working on and influencing cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior members within and/or across functional teams through robust analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Ability to balance conflicting priorities, and manage key stakeholders through effective communication
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and assign resources accordingly
This position will require 10%-15% travel.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.