Who we are:
A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Design, execute and analyze studies related to client projects and internal projects. Hands-on involvement for upstream production and downstream purification of viral vectors.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Scientist will be responsible to generate viral vector products as part of client and/or internal projects in the Process Development Department. The Scientist is responsible for understanding the scope of work, generating all related documentation, executing the project, coordinating testing, performing in process testing, analyzing data and writing a development report. The Scientist is expected to interact with clients throughout the project in addition to working with the Tech Transfer team and the Manufacturing team to facilitate the transfer of the process from Process Development into GMP Manufacturing. The Scientist may be involved in Process Characterization and Process Validation studies as part of commercialization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Be the lead scientist and/or assist a senior or principal scientist with projects related to viral vector production and purification.
- Follow set timeline and ensure timely initiation and completion of all studies.
- Generate Process Development Worksheets to serve as guidance for study execution as well as means for real-time documentation.
- Participate in process transfer activities.
- Assist in implementation of new technologies.
- Participate in critical event / lab investigations / troubleshooting within Process Development and liaise with other team members in Process Development as well as other departments to provide technical expertise.
- Prepare and present (internally and externally) scientific data, abstracts, papers, posters, etc. to advance the reputation of MilliporeSigma Carlsbad within the marketplace.
- Provide technical advice and support for client and regulatory interactions (audits, meetings, teleconferences and inspections).
- May perform other related duties as required and / or assigned.
Who You Are:
- (preferred) Ph.D. in scientific discipline with 4 or more years of relevant experience
- MS in scientific discipline with 8 or more years applicable experience
- BS in scientific discipline with 10 or more years specific experience
- Relevant working knowledge and hands-on experience in Virology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or related fields.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency and hands-on experience of various platforms used for suspension cultures and adherent cultures (focusing on bioreactors). Hands-on skill set in aseptic techniques
- Proficiency and hands-on experience of various approaches used for downstream purification focusing on tangential flow filtration and chromatography.
- Excellent oral and written communication demonstrated through generating documents and presentations.
- Profound knowledge in applicable computer programs
- Excellent time management skills. Good working knowledge of company commercial and financial strategies
What we offer:
With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.