A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Who We Are:
EMD Serono is the North American biopharma brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company - focused exclusively on specialty care. For more than 40 years, the brand has integrated cutting-edge science, innovative products and industry-leading patient support and access programs. EMD Serono has deep expertise in neurology, fertility and endocrinology, as well as a robust pipeline of potential therapies in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology as R&D focus areas.
EMD Serono Field Medical employees are the external facing ambassadors of the US Medical Affairs (USMA) organization and are responsible for the education and engagement of KOLs, support of evidence generation, and the capture and relaying of scientific and competitive intelligence (SCI). Reporting to the National Director, Medical Science Liaisons, US Medical Affairs, Neurology & Immunology, Director Field Excellence will be responsible for embedding a standard of excellence with the N&I Field Medical team for product knowledge, disease state awareness, MSL skill, and business acumen. This will be accomplished through support of on-going training initiatives, active participation in MSL onboarding, identification of areas for skill development, and identification of knowledge gaps and process inconsistencies. Additionally, the Director of Field Excellence will also work collaboratively with internal colleagues to provide support for ongoing in-house lead initiatives such as KOL development, serving as part of escalation process for external communications, and strategic planning. This position will serve as a primary point of contact for N&I Field Medical Regional Directors, and N&I Medical Trainers. The Scope of this role is for USMA N&I, developing greater harmonization across N&I MSLs sharing best practices and providing educational solutions in real time, and thereby facilitating a highly effective and functioning N&I field medical affairs team in executing key tactics in support of medical affairs asset and therapeutic area strategy. Furthermore, the Director Field Excellence will work closely, where applicable, with external vendors and cross-functional business partners.
- Assisting in embedding a culture of accountability and high standards of Field Medical excellence through:
- Contributing to the creation, development, and implementation of MSL core competencies which set a standard of excellence for product knowledge, MSL skill, business acumen, and expectations for the MSL role, to include enhancing MSL fluency of all data, furthering performance of the team and ensuring individual accountability.
- Conducting field travel with MSLs to share best practices, identifying areas for improvement, and providing any necessary coaching in collaboration with leadership and training team
- Working collaboratively with Medical Affairs Training to support on boarding of new MSLs and development/implementation of continuing education plans to ensure robust product and disease knowledge, to include ongoing and refresher training for EMD Serono pubs/posters/slide decks and other field resources.
- Collaborating with field leadership team to identify MSL growth opportunities based on individual strengths and experiences and identified career goals.
- Support internal initiatives through:
- Contributing to the development and cultivation of long-term strategic medical partnerships for MSLs with specific thought leaders and other external stakeholders
- Facilitating MSLs’ deeper understanding of thought leaders and their unmet medical needs to help guide field medical interactions and improvement
- Attending therapeutically focused meetings and congresses to interact with thought leaders.
- Contributing to the development of clear and actionable strategic Medical Plans for the MSL by assessing MSL feedback and Insights
- Participating in and contributing to projects and initiatives within a matrix environment that increases the value and productivity of Field Medical and Medical Affairs
- Maintain and update knowledge and expertise relevant to the therapeutic area
- Support field leadership to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory guidelines
- Foster an atmosphere conducive to teamwork and collaboration
- Serve as field medical lead for cross-functional key account engagement strategy
- Lead in the continued development, coordination, and improvement of MSL initiatives (e.g., regarding OL engagement, Insights and best practices, congress planning, etc.) that foster excellence, consistency and efficiency within N&I Field Medical objectives.
- Help ensure that MSL objectives and output are aligned with N&I medical and corporate objectives and identify/recommend/support MSL/field improvement opportunities.
- Host team excellence meetings (opportunity for all MSLs to present, team discussion on data and FAQs, best practice sharing, etc.)
- The Director of Field Excellence is responsible, in cooperation with Regional Directors, for the individual professional development of the MSLs, and for the pull-through of trainings performed by the Medical training department.
- Principle accountabilities include:
- Help execute new hire mentor plans
- Develop and maintain MSL development plans
- Develop and execute long-term retention plans
Who you are:
- Advanced degree: MD, PhD, PharmD
- Minimum of 5 years of pharmaceutical/healthcare industry with demonstration of successful results
- Experience in N&I preferred
- MSL management experience preferred
- Strong track record of leadership, specifically in MSL onboarding & mentoring
- Demonstrated understanding of product life-cycle, from clinical development through post-marketing for pharmaceuticals, and the role of field medical in support of life-cycle initiatives
- Excellent management, teamwork, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with MSLs, motivate them, manage diverse field objectives, and maximize productivity
- Experience working with cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in problem solving for MSLs within a changing competitive environment
- Experience in working in a matrix environment, which integrates all business unit functions
- Ability to critically analyze and synthesize complex scientific data
- Flexible to changing priorities, detail-oriented, and works well under pressure
- Possess strong project management, vendor management, and budget experience and knowledge
- Position will be Field Based
- Able to travel 40-60%
- Normal and routine office duties
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com