A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Evaluate the quality of products requiring advanced technical skills and knowledge including innovative research / investigation. Identify and lead process improvement opportunities, develop new procedures and implement new technology. Provide advanced technical support to the department.
Essential Job Functions:
Schedule, set-up and perform complex assays.
- Schedule assays according to priority level. Evaluate assays and identify potential problems.
- Accurately perform procedure independently and make minor and major adjustments to protocol as needed.
- Accurately interpret results using advanced chemical and mathematical knowledge.
- Prepare complete, accurate and legible batch records.
- Identify problems and limitations of analysis due to instrumental and chemical interferences or inaccuracies.
- Design experiments, evaluate data and draw conclusions.
- Complete volume of work required to achieve group/departmental goal and meet deadlines.
- Prepare and complete written procedures as needed.
- Contribute to support functions of the lab (e.g. maintain equipment, clean work areas, prepare reagents, restock lab supplies).
Identify needs or problems, devise possible solutions, develop process improvements and provide technical review.
- Identify problem, locate source, provide logical explanations and potential solutions.
- Define areas suitable for process improvements and cost containment. Develop idea, review impact of changes and document all work. Review with supervisor and affected groups and if appropriate, implement.
- Prepare written procedures for assays without a protocol. Prepare, revise and/or review procedures as needed.
Develop new procedures and implement new instrumentation.
- Develop robust, accurate methods with minimal experimentation.
- Evaluate, justify and implement new instrumentation.
- Provide accurate, concise, complete and clear documentation to facilitate use of the new assays or instruments by other personnel.
Train personnel. Act as technical consultant as needed.
- Train personnel on instruments and techniques by supplying sufficient demonstration, theory and support.
- Provide technical support to personnel to assist in problem solving and career development.
- Supply information based on experience and knowledge.
- Ensure worksheets and other quality documents accurately reflect current procedure. Document procedures with appropriate technical detail in writing as directed by supervisor.
- Notify supervisor of any deviation from current procedure.
- Utilize system of quality documents for recording maintenance, calibration and usage of equipment and instruments as directed by supervisor.
- Properly label chemicals and reagents with all needed quality documentation.
- Participate as needed in quality audits including preparation of responses to questions.
- Successfully complete required quality training.
- Write and review drafts of quality procedures as directed by supervisor.
- Provide final review of quality procedures as directed by supervisor.
- Train other analysts in quality procedures, techniques and programs.
- Provide review of quality of other analyst’s work compared to established requirements.
- Assist in the design and documentation of methods to support product testing.
- Participate on technical review of methods, systems, lab operations, results, problems and issues.
- Provide guidance in resolving the obstacles to quality improvements in line with scientific and regulatory guidelines.
- Record quality observations in databases as directed by supervisor to aid in quality improvement efforts.
- May require shift work.
- May require occasional lifting and pushing of up to 80 pounds.
- Chemical environment-Must be able to perform tasks while wearing personal protective equipment such as respirator or chemical protective clothing for extended periods.
Who You Are:
- The position requires a MS or PhD in Biochemistry, Biology or a related Science discipline.
- 3+ years of experience with Enzyme kinetics theory and testing methods
- 1+ years of experience with Excel based calculations (including the use of linear regression to calculate activity)
- Over 5 years of independent lab research or industrial experience preferred.
- Ability to train and develop less experienced scientists
- Ability to identify, investigate, communicate, and implement process improvement ideas is required
- Ability to perform scientific calculations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex scientific theory and results in such a way that it can be understood by individuals of all levels throughout the organization.
- SAP experience preferred
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to self-motivate and meet deadlines
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to thrive within a team atmosphere
- Familiarity with ISO 13485 requirements is preferred
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.