A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Do you enjoy challenging technology? If you do, we may have just the job for you! Continuous Flow Manufacturing (CFM) is a manufacturing platform that employs state of the art technology. It is a rapidly expanding, lean and green (environmentally friendly) method of manufacturing chemicals. If you are interested in joining a dedicated, talented team of scientists and engineers engaged in the pursuit of this modern technology, apply for the position today.
This is Process Development Scientist position in Milwaukee (WI) that will focus on process optimization and scale-up of continuous flow reactions in a manner that allows safe, practical and economical scale-up of such reactions. Other responsibilities will include close interaction with scientists and engineers to ensure that a healthy pace of technology advancement for the CFM area is maintained.
Safely perform operations to meet quality expectations.
- Ensure quality throughout the process.
- Assure you are adequately trained to perform tasks/assignments.
- Perform multi-disciplined, complex and established processes, assays and/or unit operations, primarily those requiring a higher level of skill and knowledge.
- Clean-up equipment and working areas during and after operations.
- Complete the volume of work required to achieve group/departmental goals and meet deadlines.
- Contribute to support functions of the lab (e.g., maintain equipment, prepare reagents, restock lab supplies, waste disposal).
Communicate the status of operations and bring deviations to the attention of supervisor.
- Provide complete and accurate records consistent with quality guidelines.
- Ensure all applicable log books have been filled out completely as required by current procedures.
- Interface across departments
- Participate as needed in quality audits.
- Accurately perform procedure independently.
- Identify problems and limitations of analysis.
- Perform advanced troubleshooting utilizing technical knowledge and theory.
- Review of final assays and procedures.
- Interface with external customers.
- Design basic experiments, evaluate data and draw conclusions.
- Provide logical explanations and potential solutions.
- Write and modify procedures consistent with quality guidelines and review other procedures as requested.
In compliance with change control procedures, improve processes through application of scientific knowledge, experience, and principles.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Participate in process improvements under the guidance of a Supervisor or Scientist.
- Develop improvement ideas, review impact of changes and document all work.
- Take the necessary action to resolve any unsafe conditions.
- Develop efficient processes/procedure for existing and new product introduction, assays, technologies, instrumentation and software.
Train personnel and act as a technical consultant as needed. Perform and interpret analytical evaluations of products and intermediates.
- Supply information based on experience and knowledge.
- Train personnel on instruments/equipment and techniques by supplying sufficient demonstration, theory and support.
- Provide technical support to personnel to assist in problem solving.
Provide technical support to cross-functional teams
Who You Are:
- BS in chemistry with 3 to 5 years of experience in a relevant field or MS in chemistry with 1 to 3 years of experience in a relevant field.
- Good mechanical aptitude or with formal engineering related coursework will be preferred.
- Good communication skills, ability to work well individually and in a team environment are essential.
- Familiarity with analytical techniques such as GC, LC, MS, and NMR.
- Prior experience in flow chemistry or a background in engineering are desirable but not required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge in chemistry or biochemistry, math and general science.
- Familiar with laboratory instruments and production equipment.
- Process techniques and unit operations.
- Analytical techniques and equipment.
- Safe chemical handling methods.
- Communication skills, oral and written.
- Computer skills.
- Mechanical skills.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Laboratory and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of ISO Quality standards.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS
Chemical environment-Must be able to perform tasks while wearing personal protective equipment such as respirator or chemical protective clothing for extended periods.
Minimum requirements include BS in chemistry with 3 to 5 years of experience in a relevant field or MS in chemistry with 1 to 3 years of experience in a relevant field. Candidates possessing good mechanical aptitude or with formal engineering related coursework will be preferred. Good communication skills, ability to work well individually and in a team environment are essential. Candidate needs to be familiar with analytical techniques such as GC, LC, MS, and NMR. Prior experience in flow chemistry or a background in engineering are desirable but not required.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfill your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.